Healthcare costs - not insurance EHIC

elacsaplau

Just wondering if you forgets your meds when travelling in Europe - can you simply go to a pharmacy in the country that you are visiting and order them? Specifically, how does this work in relation to expensive, high-tech drugs?

In most places now you'll get what you need. But only with a prescription and not a copy of it.

I found that in Latvia, Spain and Malta I recognised a lot of the medicines, brands etc
In France it was very different. Some products available OTC here weren't available there at all, and vice versa,
I wouldn't assume it will be available unless it's a very common medicine type.

I don't think the cost of your meds will be covered by the EHIC, if that is the question.

Last edited:
Thanks folks,

Actually - you're right Ilgon, my question was unclear.

I'm researching high-tech drugs in various European countries. In particular, one cancer drug is about €5k per month in Ireland. It is not reimbursed by the Irish state - meaning that the patient has to pay it. It is reimbursed by the state in all other European countries so that the patient normally just pays a nominal charge at the pharmacy. So, if an Irish citizen went into a pharmacy in pretty much any other EU country, would he pay the same amount as his European compatriot for an emergency supply? Where are the rules for all this stuff recorded? Normal googling hasn't done it for me this time!

The EHIC is there if you become ill in another EU country and will provide emergency healthcare. I think you will find it difficult to get a definitive answer to your question unless one actually found themselves in this situation and it might depend on the discretion of the healthcare workers you are dealing with.

The two barriers that would prevent this are that firstly the patient did not become ill while in the country. Secondly the drugs involved are probably not classified as emergency drugs. An 'emergency supply' is not the same as emergency healthcare. Much will depend on the rules in the relevant country.

Under EU rules planned treatment abroad can also be covered subject to the regulations. Again will depend on the country and individual circumstances. These links may be helpful for both scenarios, you can enter the country of travel to get more specific information:

Back