Effect of Fuel on Flight Costs

O

OverseasCafe

Just wondering how worried those owning property abroad and those selling overseas are about the potential for the rising price of oil to send flight prices through the roof. Could this have a terminally detrimental effect on the industry or is it seen as merely a blip that will pass with time?

There are links to a number of pieces over the weekend here and here on Willie Walsh's declaration that we've seen the end of cheap flights as well as Michael O'Leary's prediction that only four European airlines could survive if oil prices hit $200 a barrel. Overall there are some pretty worrying predictions for what could happen to the aviation industry in the future.

there is one thing i think we can say for certain.....oil is going to keep going up and up...and that has to have big affect on everything,including air travel.

I predict also the dollar is going to be back to 1.40 to the Euro by the end of the year so its a double whammy for european airlines - the weakness of the dollar would have offset some of those rising oil costs buts its going to go up as starlite says - to coin George Soros its a backward sloping supply curve

Cheers lads, I'm off to short the dollar and go long oil.

I'll be rich, rich I tells ya.

Just wondering how worried those owning property abroad and those selling overseas are about the potential for the rising price of oil to send flight prices through the roof. Could this have a terminally detrimental effect on the industry or is it seen as merely a blip that will pass with time?

There are links to a number of pieces over the weekend here and here on Willie Walsh's declaration that we've seen the end of cheap flights as well as Michael O'Leary's prediction that only four European airlines could survive if oil prices hit $200 a barrel. Overall there are some pretty worrying predictions for what could happen to the aviation industry in the future.

If anyone has bought in an area that is reliant on foreign airtravel to prop up the prices then they were careless in where they bought.

Yes costal and ski resorts will be hit bad by the increase in oil (which is probably only 1/2 way through its bull market - Read Hot Commodities, Jim Rogers).

Anyone who bought in 'investment' locations and not holiday home locations should not be hit by the increase in the price of oil as such areas are dependent upon a local rental and resale market - i.e. CEE city centres.

Just read that Ryanair are taking 20 planes out of service. I never thought Bulgaria, Egypt, Morocco, Cape Verde et al were good investments; even less so now.

I predict also the dollar is going to be back to 1.40 to the Euro by the end of the year so its a double whammy for european airlines - the weakness of the dollar would have offset some of those rising oil costs buts its going to go up as starlite says - to coin George Soros its a backward sloping supply curve

On what basis? Conventional wisdom would suggest the opposite will happen. The Middle Eastern and Asian nations hold approximately 70-80% of their reserves in US dollars and are on the record as saying in the medium term they'd prefer to get this figure closer to 50%. That, allied to the fact that a weak dollar suits any US administration running huge budget deficits make me think the dollar will weaken further.

the likes of Cape Verde and Canaries are really going to be hit by this

Possibly, but its also possible trends might change. Instead of trying to heat my house for say 3 weeks in the winter when oil is $135/barrel I might be able to offset it by going to the Canaries for 3 weeks where I have no heating bill and lower electricity costs because I can dry my clothes in the sun instead of a tumble dryer etc. OK it costs more to get to the canaries but you save more when you get there.

Cape Verde being further away is of course less viable.

Of course in the summer weather is better around here so people might not travel as far during the summer so the Canaries and CV could suffer a lot in the summer.

If your 500 Euro flight to Miami/Dubai will cost 1K then families will no longer be able to go to those destinations. It will have a hugh effect I believe on the destinations that are flight dependant. Florida though will always have the American Market but the UAE/Egypt don't have that cushion. France & Spain can still get the Germans/North Europeans but Spanish Islands less so. Go back to the 1970's, maybe Irish seaside towns will see a boost, we live in strange times. Maybe we'll all look back at Michael O' Leary in amazement and say to our grandkids, we used to be able to fly all over the world in 1990's and 2000's. The same way we now say we used to get a bus to London in the 1980's and nobody ever came home for holidays because it cost a month's salary to fly.

Michael O'Leary's pronouncements can be taken with a generous pinch of salt. It's not like he doesn't have a vested interest in this. I'm sure if you asked him when oil prices were $20/b he would have said the same about $100 oil

My view: Sustained high oil prices causing expensive flights will certainly have an impact on at least the market psychology in the medium term (3-5 years), especially for markets that are dominated by Irish and UK based investors, but that isn't the real problem.

Cheap flights were never here forever. Look at the cost of Easyjet and BMI these days. They really are very little different from BA or KLM. Ryanair will almost certainly go that way long term too. So the cost of travel will increase. But it was always daft to rely on a single airline with a single cheap link to choose your location. Nice used to be a prime low cost airline hub. Not any more. Things like this change.

Expensive flights aren't the biggest risk in my view.

More established locations will pull through long term, but may have a serious mid term dip. There were good reasons why people went to Spain and the US (e.g. Florida) on holiday or to live, even in the seventies. People will continue to relocate there too. Not just from the UK & Ireland.

These property markets are also the ones that are seriously tanking in the short term. I don't know if everyone has seen the reports in the last week, but the UK, US and Spain are all seriously suffering now. Inventory levels are high (11 months +) and there is still an over supply of appartments, whilst people prefer houses. We are still very much on the turn down on capital values. It could take years to get rid of the current inventory that is now being delivered. Over supply of poor quality builds is much more of a risk IMHO.

So for me, the "buy to holiday let" strategy seems very risky: lower capital values coupled with a lower chance of rentals.

You really need a broad and deep rental market, which is why so many other posters on this list focus their strategy on long term rentals in capital cities: you are not tied to just potential tourist rentals, but also ex-pat and local workers on long term contracts. Capital cities have not generally suffered from massive redevelopment of brown field sites and over supply of appartments like e.g Manchester.

But sustained high oil prices do not just hit the cost of travel.They also suck money out of companies and the consumers' pockets for the rest of the year, meaning less holiday rentals and less ex-pats and lower spending power for local workers. More importantly, it also directly fuels consumer price inflation. In turn that will mean higher interest rates which, coupled with stricter lending criteria resulting from the credit crunch, will also make property investment less interesting generally. It was the high gearing and ability to borrow against low rates that made property investment attractive for most people in the first place.

Meanwhile central european economies are also fighting with imbalances and budget problems, so they are not that attractive either IMHO. There are still serious currency and interest rate risks for non-euroland investments.

It's time for rate cuts, and yet central banks cannot drop rates i) because the governments can't afford to re-inflate their economies and ii) because inflation is threatening to get out of control. They're caught between a rock and a hard place. Especially since most of the inflation is imported.

Not sure how many other people on this list can remember the 70's or the 80's, or even the last (minor) recession in '92.

I think we're going to look back with fondness at the period since '92: we had constant growth, record low interest rates, easy access mortgages with high LTV, increasing prosperity, low unemployment, low inflation, undersupply of housing, increasing capital value, and cheap travel.

All of those factors are now threatened: not just the cheap travel. That for me is the real risk here. High oil prices are removing the last positive factors for domestic property investment in a market that is anyway probably at or near a cyclical peak.

I must admit that my personal sentiment on the market has changed recently. I was looking at the UK and distressed sellers, but now I've decided to hold off. It won't be all doom and gloom. But it probably wont be a V shaped blip either. So I think it is better to wait until there are real signs of improvement before diving in: if at all. Or you may just be lucky/smart enough to already be an established investor with a stable portfolio and a stream of guaranteed tenants funded by e.g. the government...

I have instead been looking at investing in container shipping: that has a good solid upward growth trend and is pretty easy to understand, but even that could be badly affected by high oil prices dampening demand for imported goods.

An oil shock is bad for everybody. Even the oil majors and the oil producing countries. There's not much that Gordon Brown, President Bush, the BoE, the Fed, or the ECB can do about it. And it looks like that's where we're heading. Where's the incentive to produce more oil when your asset lying in the ground is accumulating in value, whilst the assets that you pump above ground reduce in value as the dollar goes down? Let's hope I'm wrong.

Just read that Ryanair are taking 20 planes out of service. I never thought Bulgaria, Egypt, Morocco, Cape Verde et al were good investments; even less so now.
Bigrog, Where did you get this information and which routes?

Hi Mollie,

Sunday Times Business News. No info on routes, but number of aircraft being mothballed could be higher. Details should be announced, along with company results next Tuesday.

Bigrog, Where did you get this information and which routes?
They are cutting 20 planes from non profitable routes in the winter, something they've done before.

Some information are in the links in the OP.

Re the affect of fuel costs on flights. A relative did a trip last year to West Canada and then via LA to Australia, hence to Bangkok , Hong Kong and then home . The exact same trip this year at the same time with the same provider is 1200Euros dearer.

Possibly, but its also possible trends might change. Instead of trying to heat my house for say 3 weeks in the winter when oil is $135/barrel I might be able to offset it by going to the Canaries for 3 weeks where I have no heating bill and lower electricity costs because I can dry my clothes in the sun instead of a tumble dryer etc. OK it costs more to get to the canaries but you save more when you get there.

Cape Verde being further away is of course less viable.

Of course in the summer weather is better around here so people might not travel as far during the summer so the Canaries and CV could suffer a lot in the summer.

on that note, you can fly to Fuerteventura with Ryan air in Jan return for €65 and you can rent a 1 bed apartment for 4 weeks for €500 so I can see a lot of older people doing that, you have to watch out for the cheap flights.

Excellent :)
I think there is something in what you say.

On what basis? Conventional wisdom would suggest the opposite will happen. The Middle Eastern and Asian nations hold approximately 70-80% of their reserves in US dollars and are on the record as saying in the medium term they'd prefer to get this figure closer to 50%. That, allied to the fact that a weak dollar suits any US administration running huge budget deficits make me think the dollar will weaken further.

Its purely speculation but I think that US economy is going to start recovering slowly but surely over the next 2 quarters. Theres a lot of optimism among traders in the US at the moment which has a significant effect. European economies arent too flash at the moment - ireland, uk, germany, spain all struggling. when theres not so much optimism in europe among traders then they put their euros back on the market increasing inflation and weakening the currency. Fuel costs are going to hurt the european economies and effect the outlook of all the major economies with pessimism. while the US has to deal with the same fuel hikes, I just feel the general outlook for US is optimistic among traders and pessimistic for europe

I've seen it widely reported today that IATA updated their industry forecasts. e.g. amongst others on CNBC and Yahoo.

IATA now estimate that airlines would make a USD2.3Bn loss this year instead of the previously estimated USD4.5Bn profit. If the oil price remains at around USD130 per barrel, the loss would grow to USD6.1Bn. Those are big numbers but still less than the drop off after 911.

The boss of Air France predicted that "lots of low-cost (carriers) will disappear." Well he would say that wouldn't he. Let's see.

Back