Editing and deleting of posts

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. I have no problem with posts being deleted as I believe if you participate on a forum such as this you must expect criticism, difference of opinion, etc and if you have problems with these you probably should not be posting here.
2. I do have a problem with posts being edited by somebody other than the original poster. I can't see much grounds for this practice and I don't agree with it.

or deleted (post too "simple"). Post was in reply to someone asked for a simple explanation .
On that specific one, my post was also deleted, but I understand why. It was nothing to do with your answer, but the question to which you were replying was very basic as part of the thread it was in.

The moderators can't win.

If a post is off topic we delete it.
If a post is on topic but contains stuff which is way off topic, and we delete the post, which is the easiest, we are asked why did we not edit the post to remove the off topic content.
If a post contains off topic content, and we go to the trouble of editing it we get accused of "editing it to suit the moderator" !

For the record, I assume that Albacore's accusation of editing it to suit the moderator refers to this post, as we actually edit very few posts. Deletion is much quicker.

It was a good post but went off topic with this line which I deleted and explained why.

I'm just more interested it took so long to pull the plug in BOI.

@AlbacoreA

In future, I won't go to the trouble of editing your posts which contain off topic material. I will just delete them.

Brendan

2. I do have a problem with posts being edited by somebody other than the original poster. I can't see much grounds for this practice and I don't agree with it.

It rarely happens that we edit posts. It's usually if it's a very long post with content which is in breach of the Posting Guidelines. Posts are not edited to change their viewpoint, much less "to suit the moderator".

The moderators can't win.

If a post is off topic we delete it.
If a post is on topic but contains stuff which is way off topic, and we delete the post, which is the easiest, we are asked why did we not edit the post to remove the off topic content.
If a post contains off topic content, and we go to the trouble of editing it we get accused of "editing it to suit the moderator" !

For the record, I assume that Albacore's accusation of editing it to suit the moderator refers to this post, as we actually edit very few posts. Deletion is much quicker.

It was a good post but went off topic with this line which I deleted and explained why.

@AlbacoreA

In future, I won't go to the trouble of editing your posts which contain off topic material. I will just delete them.

Brendan

I'm with leper. It would be preferable to delete the post in it's entirety, than perhaps inadvertently changing the content..

I appreciate your trying to be helpful, and you rarely do it. But my concern is if it's a broader change of approach. Just seeking clarification.

deleted (post too "simple"). Post was in reply to someone asked for a simple explanation .

I was wondering what this was about.

There is all sorts of speculation about what happened in BoI. I tried to understand it with this thread

Bronte asked "What is Revolut?" and you and Red answered.

The problem is that we are trying to understand something very complex in this thread. It would be pointless having contributions from people who don't know what Revolut is. So Bronte's question was "too simple" for the thread and so it was deleted.

Bronte is of course welcome to ask what Revolut is in another thread or better still, read some of the other posts about it.

Brendan

On reflection perhaps rather than replying to a existing thread. I should just start a new one unless my reply very specific.

We ask people to read the thread title before they respond.

It's not that difficult.

We ask them to stay on topic.

If you decide that you want to discuss something else other than the topic of the thread, that is fine, but start a new thread.

Brendan

I was wondering what this was about.

There is all sorts of speculation about what happened in BoI. I tried to understand it with this thread

Bronte asked "What is Revolut?" and you and Red answered.

The problem is that we are trying to understand something very complex in this thread. It would be pointless having contributions from people who don't know what Revolut is. So Bronte's question was "too simple" for the thread and so it was deleted.

Bronte is of course welcome to ask what Revolut is in another thread or better still, read some of the other posts about it.

Brendan
I wondered what happened to that post of mine as I was genuinely curious about how Revolut was part of the BoI story and I was trying to figure it out, when it got deleted, and there was me thinking the point of the thread was to understand things. My mistake is that I should make things very complex it seems.

Hi Bronte

When posts are deleted, a message is sent with them. So you should have got a message.

If you want to ask what Revolut is, please do start a new thread, although there is plenty already on the site.

Brendan

This is what Bronte actually said

Can someone explain this in simple terms. Especially what Revolut is and why it's relevant.

I may have misunderstood this but it seems clear to me that he is asking what Revolut is.

I was surprised that he didn't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back