Eddie Hobbs - Wedding Plans

nelly said:
- but a load of decorative stuff (not all to my taste) sitting in the attic...

At least you have an attic. I dread the thought of our apartment spare bedroom filling up with lamps and cutlery after the wedding (we already have two sets of china ware we don't use and we're not even married yet)

Calina said:
To some extent, I rather prefer useful presents. 23 ft wide paintings are not presents bought with the recipient in mind. It's extremely unfair.

Sorry, i meant to type 3ft. Still too big and ugly though :)

I would agree that department store vouchers are good to get too. I would count them as cash.

I know of people renting a flat who got married and got all the kitchen stuff and furniture as presents. They had to give it away. We brought back some newbridge silver to the newbridge shop and they said yes it was theirs but they hadnt stocked it in 2 years. They gave us the money for it anyway - fair play.
A lot of this ornamental stuff seems to be people passing it on at the next wedding they go to.
A friend of mine said he got his own wedding present to someone else back. He dropped the box and the corner was dinged so he taped it. Was easy to identify :)

Grizzly said:
If you married couples out there were doing it again, the wedding I mean, would you do things differently?

I'd change the groom, it took a couple of minutes to get hitched and six long years to get rid of the useless feck*r!!!

KatieC said:
I'd change the groom, it took a couple of minutes to get hitched and six long years to get rid of the useless feck*r!!!
Brilliant first post Katie - Welcome to Askaboutmoney....

wow lots of different lines of conversation going on here........

on the programme - i just can't believe that they were willing to get a 10 year loan to pay for their wedding! that is just mental! and the necessity for a €6k honeymoon when they are broke............what planet do these people live on!

wedding - we had 80 people.........no loans required.........would hate to have 200/300 people - i don't know 200 people that I like!

Pressies - I have to say that I prefer to give a pressie than money but I suppose vouchers is the middle ground. I found that I didnt get any useful pressies, like sheets/towels etc & I would have loved some. But got lovely lamps & a fab painting. Feel that if you give cash someone could be down in Tesco the next week buying their groceries with it!

Hello
Getting married next year and would always have been of the opinion that people spent far too much on weddings...
I have to hang my head now and confess that I, too, am a Bridezilla...:eek:
We will be paying for everything out of savings but it will probably hit E15k+ (thank God for SSIAs)
A lot of that is the guest list of 125 for a Saturday May wedding, and a seven piece band, but we will be trying to skimp on other things, and given work pressures, we're unlikely to go for the honeymoon straight away.
Why so many? I'm lucky to have lots of aunties and friends and I'd love to have them all together for a big party.
And the band has a brass section that we fell in love with so thats them.
I figure I didn't have a 21st party or anything, our family doesn't really celebrate 40ths or 60ths so here we go.
Plus there will be people travelling from abroad so a BH Saturday was helpful.

I've been trawling wedding sites for tips to keep it down so I won't clog the ether here but if anyone has a sure-fire saver please PM me!

On Eddie: think it was a bit ridiculous.

On gifts: we'll have a list ready if people ask for it. We have our own home so it will be helpful. Otherwise we're grateful for whatever, although we have about 6 salt and pepper sets since getting engaged... and a toaster.:p

microsquid said:
I've been trawling wedding sites for tips to keep it down so I won't clog the ether here but if anyone has a sure-fire saver please PM me!

I have pm'd you a few suggestions;)

Back