Echoing sound on my computer

ACA

My 10 yr old has been messing with the volume settings on my desktop computer that I use for work, I have tried a partial system restore to rectify this to little effect. I still have the full range of sounds but it sounds very echoey - like playing a tin whistle in an audatorium! Driving me nuts!!

I have gone into the sound manager on the control panel and mooched around but nothing seems to correct this. Has anyone any idea what she's done and how I can put it right? Is it possible that she's blown the speakers? (they're on the monitor only)

Last edited:
Hi Aca,

I wouldn't think the speakers are blown. Have a look in the icons displayed beside the clock - theres usually one there for controlling the sound (alternatively you'll find it in the control panel). Note it's not the standard Windows one, it'll be the one supplied by the manufacturer of the sound card. Somewhere in there is usually a setting for a "graph" or "equaliser" and should have options like hall, auditorium, live etc - I'll hazard a guess one of these is on and causing your echo....

Spot on - I was looking at the volume and the graphic equaliser - never thought of looking for the sound effects menu.

Thanx a mill - you've saved my sanity

Back