Ebs surecert

hopalong

I have a question with regard to an ebs surecert account. A family member opened a surecert account in june 2010 with the ebs. Its due to mature in june 2014. However the family member is in canada due to unemployment here,and has started to receive mail from the ebs,saying that they need to bring photo id into the ebs ,or they will freeze their account. We called into the ebs to explain the sitution and they said they will enter a note on her account. They also said they may have lost the id information or ,that the family member may have not needed an id request at the time of opening the account. Where does this leave the family member with regards having there account frozen ie. does this mean their interest is frozen?

An account could not have been opened in 2010 without the proper I.D. If they did open it, pending receipt of the I.D. then they were wrong to do so. It seems more likely that the EBS has lost the original I.D. As it is a fixed term account I would imagine that on closing it when it matures it should be sufficient to show the photo I.D. at that stage. I would be questioning them about the whereabouts of the original documentation and why they have lost it?

Back