EBS customers - you are not getting the 0.25% rate cut announced by AIB today

I wonder does that include Haven and EBS?

Indo: "However, the group said the new lower variable rates only apply to AIB customers, and there has been no reduction announced for EBS and Haven mortgage holders."

I don't understand that.

Their cost of funds is the same. OK, they have to pay a commission to customers who go through Haven, so that might be justified, but EBS customers will be up in arms about this. I suspect that they haven't thought this one through.

Brendan

I have confirmed it directly with AIB that it does not apply to EBS or Haven customers.
Their press release says:

" our mortgage offerings continue to evolve and we will be introducing more new features across our other brands over the coming months to further benefit customers and to give them the choices they are looking for".

here's a question - as a haven customer, can i switch to AIB (assuming i meet the criteria etc) - seems illogical that i'd be able to, but also seems illogical not to cut rates across the group!

Why would they do that???Thats just displaying utter contempt for us EBS customers. I'm still in negative equity so I doubt they'll even entertain my irate phonecall.....

Because they can. Who is going to stop them?.
EBS is a different bank when its suits AIB.
Its seems AIB dont want to keep EBS otherwise integration would have happened years ago. My two cents.

Its disgraceful. Why aren't they cutting it. Are Aib cutting it. I'm fed up of this country. For all the politicians talk they do nothing for the people who pay through the nose for EVERYTHING every day.

Why are they overcharging in EBS. Both in SVR. And not giving reduced rate. Im sick of it. How can one bank behave in two different ways. Can I switch from ebs to aib.

They are a business. If they can get away with maxing profits they will.

Don't blame them. Ineffective gov and toothless regulator are to play.

It's like the phone roaming charges. They are juicing it for as long as they can because they know the good days are coming to an end.
The euro Market will eventually open Ireland up to mortgage competition and the gravy train will end.

The euro Market will eventually open Ireland up to mortgage competition and the gravy train will end.

I would love to see this happen, but to be honest until we address our repossessions issue - its highly unlikely any bank would consider coming here and offering European rates

KBC have now decided to slash (o_O) their variable rates by 0.1% . . . . but only for newbies

Meanwhile EBS + Haven customers will have to wait for these "new features" which sounds like a fixed rate offering

I rang EBS and they said they're waiting to hear if the reduction is to be made from the powers above. I'll be livid if it isnt

I don't have the figures to back it up, but I remember reading about 2 years ago that the books for EBS are in a much healthier state than AIB. Less bad loans, more cash etc. If anything I would have an expectation for a cut >0.25%

Do you remember when the EBS was called "The Mutual Building Society".

Unfortunately that changed on the AIB takeover - I can't post links but if you google for "ebs combined with aib to form one of two pillar banks"

Irish Times article called "Political pressure set to mount for lower mortgage rate" states that "The bank has separate plans for its EBS and Haven subsidiaries which will be announced in the coming weeks"

well the woman on the phone yesterday said we'd know in a few days but why? Why not just pass it on? I'm waiting to see what happens and am hopeful! I feel so angry at the way this country works.

AIB is State owned and the EBS is owned by AIB... so kick your local politican would be my suggestion.

Back