East Wall

Havana

I think I will have to expand my search area to find a house within my budget. I have till now been focused on mainly D8 and D12

Location is what is most important to me and I have always been happy to trade space for the right location. It’s only me and my young child and we don’t need much space. A 2 bed house is perfect. I really do not want to commute and looking at East Wall it could potentially be an option.

I know little about the area so any thoughts would be appreciated. I have lived in the south inner city for a long time so am no stranger to living in the city - I know it’s not for everyone but I love it.

Any particular roads to consider? Being within easy access of the 151 or G1/2 buses would be a bonus. What is the area like in terms of cafes and shops etc?

Ive a few friends living there happily enough. They live in Strangford Road East and West Road.

A couple of nice cafes have opened in the last few years on East Road & Church Road. For groceries, East Wall Road has a large Lidl and an Aldi.
The area is improving but still not without its issues. Something like a northside version of Rialto maybe...

I worked in the area for several years.
There's a lot of building work going on in the area at the moment. Traffic will be a disaster until the works are completed in Fairview.

One side of East Wall would be noisy as beside the DART line, along West Road & Stoney Road.
The stretch alongside Fairview Park can sometimes flood from the Tolka river.
If you are more towards the Fairview end then you would also be near the shops and cafes of Fairview and Marino Mart.
Fairview Park is a nice amenity during the day but dodgy at night. Recently a pitch was vandalized, sometimes stolen cars abandoned and there's been some assaults there over the years at night.

I personally wouldn't be keen on taking the shortcut road that goes under the railway bridge via Ossory Road at night, if you're coming from town.

Church Road seems like it has the nicest properties.

Last edited:
There are quite a few threads about East Wall on Boards.ie Some say that it's an OK place to live in, while others disagree.

There's a long-running one here which may be of interest. I have no idea what the creches and schools would be like for your youngster.

(Incidentally, I assume that you meant "commute, rather than "commune"!)

A couple of nice cafes have opened in the last few years on East Road & Church Road. For groceries, East Wall Road has a large Lidl and an Aldi.
The area is improving but still not without its issues. Something like a northside version of Rialto maybe...
I currently live in Rialto and love it so that’s not an issue for me. Thank you!

There are quite a few threads about East Wall on Boards.ie Some say that it's an OK place to live in, while others disagree.

There's a long-running one here which may be of interest. I have no idea what the creches and schools would be like for your youngster.

(Incidentally, I assume that you meant "commute, rather than "commune"!)
I realised too late!!

Thanks for the link

I worked in the area for several years.
There's a lot of building work going on in the area at the moment. Traffic will be a disaster until the works are completed in Fairview.

One side of East Wall would be noisy as beside the DART line, along West Road & Stoney Road.
The stretch alongside Fairview Park can sometimes flood from the Tolka river.
If you are more towards the Fairview end then you would also be near the shops and cafes of Fairview and Marino Mart.
Fairview Park is a nice amenity during the day but dodgy at night. Recently a pitch was vandalized, sometimes stolen cars abandoned and there's been some assaults there over the years at night.

I personally wouldn't be keen on taking the shortcut road that goes under the railway bridge via Ossory Road at night, if you're coming from town.

Church Road seems like it has the nicest properties.
Thanks so much for this.

Back