Key Post Easiest way to know when oil tank is empty?

Re: >>easiest way to know when oil tank is empty?

I wonder why they don't make oil tanks with a see-through strip on the side of them so you could actually see how much oil was left.

Hi Lakeview
I had an overflow port on the top, side of the tank which allowed the string to pass freely. I would be weary about creating one if its not already there though or be careful to make sure of what you are doing if you go about making one yourself.;)

Regards

Sammy

How about bending a piece of 1/2" copper pipe into a "U" and fixing this to thel id/ cover of the tank, string could be passed through the U bend down into tank with float suspended in the oil, attach a florescent ball onto the other end for improved visibility.

Carpenter, I'm not really with you on your copper pipe idea. Are you talking about boring a small hole in the plastic cap and putting the copper pipe in through that?? Sorry to bother you but it all sounds like a great idea and I know I'm in need of a fill asap.

Ribena, yes, thread the copper thro' the hole and seal using a compression fitting (straight coupler). Sounds like a great idea, but to be honest it's not something I'd bother doing myself, I check the oil every few weeks and it's not a big chore to do it. I don't really fancy the idea of boring holes in tanks, even if it's only the lid/ cover. Incidentally I seem to remember Lidl selling some detection device for this purpose some time ago? There are otherproprietary devices available off the shelf (Tankmaster?), in fact I got a flyer through the mailbox some time back offering supply and fit for something like €50-60.

You're right..it's not really worth all the hard work. I saw one of those watchman devices advertised a while back. You just throw something in to your tank and plug in the watchman plug in your house and it reads the level of oil in your tank. I don't dip my tank because it's raised too high and it's a case of getting out the ladder etc. etc.!

I bought a Watchman yesterday thinking it was just a little sensor thing that you threw in to the tank. Not so I'm afraid, there are tubes and a device to be bored in to the top of the tank. Has anyone ever installed one before or who would be the best person to get to do it as I definitely wouldn't be able to do this myself. It would probably only take 5 or 10 mins to do if you're in the know and I don't think a plumber would be quick to call for that small job.

Re: Key Post: easiest way to know when oil tank is empty?

Does anyone know anything about a device called 'Apollo'? There's more information here and at £60 it's less than the call out charge I had to pay the last time I ran out of oil :eek:

Looks like the answer to my prayers and from the instructions it appears to be easy enough to fit. But given I've heard mixed reports about the Watchman, just wondering if anyone had any experience with the Apollo device before I part with £60 of my hard earned.

Many thanks in advance

Albert

I wonder why they don't make oil tanks with a see-through strip on the side of them so you could actually see how much oil was left.

I actually asked my oil distributor the very same question as it would make life much easier. Apparently however, the reason is because the plastic must be opaque or else UV rays entering the tank, turn the fuel to sludge :(

Regards

Albert

Hi Albert, I never used my Watchman as a lot of people told me it was rubbish so I bought a gauge in a local Hardware store for 25 and I would definitely recommend it. It is easy enough to fit on to the side of your tank and is see-through so you can see exactly what's left in your tank which is ideal.

Thanks Albert ... my wondering about opague tanks has come to an end ... I'll sleep easy tonight :)

You could have an opaque strip with a plastic door over it to keep the light out .. or use UV resistant opaque plastic ... I can see where my first million is going to come from!

I know it has been discussed here but a lot of dead links ! Just wondering if anyone can recommend a brand or a website that I can buy one of these gauges for delivery to/in Ireland ?

Thanks

I had a Watchman, it packed up after a few months and the makers didn't bother answering emails. Maybe I was unlucky, you can get them in Atlantic and maybe Woodies.

I replaced it with an Apollo from Ted Johnstons in Naas, no bother since.

http://www.dunravensystems.com

Last edited:

Thanks Hoagy, can I ask how much I am expected to fork out !?

I have a rather long dip stick, which i bought when I last ran out of oil, the dip stick is marked at that point for all future dips ! Very realiable, no batteries, or moving parts, works a treat once i get up of my This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language ........... must do that tonight !

yours
Secman

completely agree. back to basics. just go measure it the hard and reliable way every now and againl. Forget the gimmicks

Shut off the oulet valve.Fit a tee to your oulet pipe ,run a length of clear plastic pipe vertically and use an elbow back into the tank. the oil level will be visable at all times.

What I currently do is open the lid and shine a torch inside the tank. From the outside, you can then see the outline of where the oil level is.

This works at night of course, and works for me as the tank is green, and near ground level.

I used to use a spare sweeping brush pole, every so often just stick it in the tank like a dip stick for the oil in a car as previously said.

I've had tenants who didn't do it in time and it caused an airlock - resulting in calling a plumber.

Can't figure out why you'd need a lock on the tank though - how do people steal oil out of a tank from the back of the house?

I've had tenants who didn't do it in time and it caused an airlock - resulting in calling a plumber.

:eek: This is a simple matter of bleeding the oil line beside the boiler until all the air bubbles out. Some oil delivery men will even do it for you if you ask them.The plumber must be laughing all the way to the bank!

Can't figure out why you'd need a lock on the tank though - how do people steal oil out of a tank from the back of the house?
Put a pipe into the tank, suck until the oil reaches yourmouth and put pipe into you container! It'll drain merrily away until you have as much as you want! :D

Last edited:
Back