Early years funding and childcare

Core funding is being expanded and increased, childminders can avail of it from next year I understand

Service providers availing of core funding can’t put their prices up.
 
Up to now Childminders have to be registered to get any funding and 99% will never register. So I'd be shocked if they finally give it to parents using the 99% unregistered
 
You are correct Leo but I don't see a large uptake registering by Sept 2027, due to

a) taxation - many will be over the Childminders’ Tax Relief - where a childminder can earn up to €15,000 gross per annum without paying tax;
b) supervision - this is the biggest concern I believe - Tusla saying your home isn't suitable and demanding changes to your home;
c) enforcement - I cannot see unregistered childminders being cracked down on as it will remove childcare places.

Many will simply stop minding children if forced to register
 
Yeah, there are certainly challenges, particularly for those who don't have a large enough home to dedicate space.

But it wouldn't make sense to target a measure like those who have no intention of registering and will be out of the business in a year or so.
 
Back
Top