Early Termination Penalties

random2011

Just wanted to share to anyone who is planning to switch provider to be very careful not to switch before the min term is up. I recently switched from Flogas to Electric Ireland. I singed up via Bonkers on Aug 31st and my contract with FG was up on Sep 6th. I assumed it would take a week or so for the switch to complete but unfortunately my EI contract start day commenced on Aug 31st. When I got my last bill from FG it included a penalty of 250 euros (200 cashback reversal and 50 penalty). This was a kick in the teeth given our FG bills were astronomical this last 12 months. (700 every 2 months compared to 350 previous year)

Reactions: jim
Thanks for this info. I was thinking of switching from Energia. In Aug 2021 when they learned I was switching from them to Elec Ireland, they contacted me with a better deal, so I stayed with them.
As far as I remember on the phone, they said it would now be an 18 month contract.
I searched my emails for this in writing and it says 12 months in that one they sent after, but I think this was just a template. Will have to dig out the paper contract they sent in the post to see if it says 18 months.

I switched last year to Electric Ireland the day after I'd switched the last year (went by the email the new provider sent to me when I'd signed up with them. Turned out it takes 2-3 days for the transfer to go through and I had a battle with the old provider to avoid penalties. I'd advise to wait a week after the year anniversary of your last switch to make the transfer to the new company just to be sure. Their old IT systems were to blame in the end so I avoided any penalty.

I switched last year to Electric Ireland the day after I'd switched the last year (went by the email the new provider sent to me when I'd signed up with them. Turned out it takes 2-3 days for the transfer to go through and I had a battle with the old provider to avoid penalties. I'd advise to wait a week after the year anniversary of your last switch to make the transfer to the new company just to be sure. Their old IT systems were to blame in the end so I avoided any penalty.
I got my welcome email on sep 7th..one day past the date by which my FG contract was up. Assumed my start date would be the 7th.

Aren't electric companies required to send you a letter giving a month's notice of contract completion? I've always received one. It clearly states the date of end of contract.

Aren't electric companies required to send you a letter giving a month's notice of contract completion? I've always received one. It clearly states the date of end of contract.
I've never received that from an electric company. I did from my internet company, 11 months after being with them.

There should be one. What I got from EI
Subject: Regulatory Message from your Energy Supplier

Dear X,

Thank you for being a customer of Electric Ireland.
We are writing to inform you that your current Electricity fixed term contract will expire on Y. Don't worry, nothing will change on your account and you do not need to take any action. Your discount rate won't disappear and you'll continue to receive the same discount from Electric Ireland for as long as you remain a customer. Now and in the future we're here for you.

Although I never got it from my previous supplier part of me does wonder if it was sent because of the active complaint I had open at the time.

They are required to send you annual reminders if you have been on the standard tariff for three or more years.

Although I never got it from my previous supplier part of me does wonder if it was sent because of the active complaint I had open at the time.
That's exactly what I thought when I received it from the internet company, because I'd made a complaint about something not long before. Thinking now it may have been sent automatically, based on post #5 above.

So the madness continues ............ and the Regulator "the consumer's best friend o_O " continues snoozing at her desk.

The energy regulator is not moving to protect them, saying the market will be monitored for a “number of months” before any intervention is considered. That leaves hundreds of thousands of prospective smart tariff customers exposed to potential losses if they make a wrong move.

Back