EA has decided they will no longer be selling our house

blue

Had a call from our EA this afternoon. She has decided to withdraw her services and no longer wishes to market our house for sale (on the market 3 months). This is on foot of correspondence where we asked for details of the marketing/sales activities the agency was undertaking to sell our property. it would appear that these questions were not welcome.

So, we'll be asking for written confirmation that she is withdrawing her services and no longer has an interest in the sale of the property. We'll also be requesting our keys back. Is there anything more we should be asking/doing that I haven't included here?

Any thoughts v welcome!

Confirm / get in writing that you don't owe them anything? Have advertising costs been paid etc?

Update any advertising e.g. daft/myhome etc. to remove references to them and take down their for sale sign if she hasn't already done so?

no longer has an interest in the sale of the property.
I'd also add in 'and will not receive any monies/commission/or other as a result of sale of the property'.
Just to make it completely clear that she will receive no financial recompense on the sale of the property.
That's a complete pain for you however, if it reduced your chances of a sale to date.
Nicola

Last edited:
Make sure you get copies of the photos they have taken as the contract with MyHome is for 12 months 'per property' so you can put it back up (with another agent) for another 9 months if you like and you shouldn't have to pay the new agent another €200.

Also, make sure you get an answer to your original query about the marketing they have undertaken, at your expense.

Thanks all for the info.

Sign is to come down tomorrow.. We paid in advance for the myhome.ie costs & she's said she won't be charging for any other costs. We'll make sure that the written confirmation covers all angles.

We did get an answer to our question re the marketing. We thought it was the norm to ask, but evidently it's not, as it seemed to cause a lot of offence that we asked for details.

Buttermilk - thanks for the info re myhome.. that's €200 saved on the next one!

No worries, I'm pretty sure that's the case but double-check with your next agent beforehand just in case.

I don't understand why it should cause offence to ask those questions? When I got quotes for putting my apt on the market I asked outright what the advertising costs covered and what they would be doing to market it.

The only thing I can think of is that because the property had been on the market for 3 months that the agent may have taken your queries out of context? As in, they may have thought you were having a go at them for not lifting the finger, rather than it being a simple query.

No worries, I'm pretty sure that's the case but double-check with your next agent beforehand just in case.

I don't understand why it should cause offence to ask those questions? When I got quotes for putting my apt on the market I asked outright what the advertising costs covered and what they would be doing to market it.

The only thing I can think of is that because the property had been on the market for 3 months that the agent may have taken your queries out of context? As in, they may have thought you were having a go at them for not lifting the finger, rather than it being a simple query.

Just out of curiosity, and don't take offence here, but could it have been that they EA wasn't happy with you either? Say, the house wasn't clean when there were doing show arounds, they asked for an asking price reduction, you were ringing them up every day or so asking "any news yet?"?
As I say, just out of curiosity as it seems very odd that an EA whose job it is to sell houses would ask not to want to sell your house. As has been said, it's a pretty straight forward request to get the info you asked for so I would have thought they at least would have had some sort of pre-prepared answer for you.
Or maybe this EA is looking to move into renting instead and simply wants rid of the properties they have on there for sale books? Did they suggest renting out?

Perhaps, at the asking price, they think it is unsellable. If an EA can't sell they can't get commission.

Thanks again for all the responses.

It does seem we fell out with the agent somehow, but I'm not sure why.

House was always spotless for viewings. She rang us each week with an update. I don't think we contacted them more than twice in the time the house was on the market & we dropped the price when it was suggested. We were actually discussing another drop before she called to say she was taking it off the market.

We had 3 viewings & 5 cancelled viewings, so don't think it was unreasonable to ask for information on enquiries made, etc... Maybe she thought it was a hard sell & wasn't worth the hassle - who knows!

just note that many agents are short of funds and therefore dropping clients and then sending bill for outlay and sundry, a sort of quick fix finance issue for them

just note that many agents are short of funds and therefore dropping clients and then sending bill for outlay and sundry, a sort of quick fix finance issue for them
good point. that would make a lot of sense

I wouldn't think advertising costs would cover a shortage of funds and a lot of agents are taking an upfront fee for costs aswell. Could there be a problem with neighbours, a conflict of interest?

Perhaps they just have too many customers on their books? This happens a lot of businesses at some stage.

They are probably cherry-picking and dropping houses that have been on the books too long that they don't think they can sell. With EAs letting people go, they probably want/need a higher success rate on those properties they do hold on to. I'm seeing all sorts of signs from EAs I'd never heard of going up in the neighbourhood so perhaps the big names are taking on fewer properties.

Sprite

They are probably cherry-picking and dropping houses that have been on the books too long that they don't think they can sell. With EAs letting people go, they probably want/need a higher success rate on those properties they do hold on to. I'm seeing all sorts of signs from EAs I'd never heard of going up in the neighbourhood so perhaps the big names are taking on fewer properties.

Sprite

This is possible, but assuming price would dictate saleability, you could assume that the owner would have been approached firstly about a price reduction.
Either that or the EA may simply be thinking it's a good time to cut staff numbers and with it a lot of properties in certain areas or certain price ranges? Could be just that some sectors of the market aren't shifting at all, and they are focusing on the areas that have some transactions.
Still odd ... and may just be that the EA was having a bad day and the request for info got them worried/angry and they decided they'd be better off with the house off their books.

Three months is not long enough for an EA to warrent dropping a property from their books!

Did you ask why she was removing you from her listing?

It's completely at the EA's discretion, regardless of reason.

I would imagine that as you booked their services and have a contract with them then they are entitled to a reason.
I certaintly wouldnt just accept that.

I had a property on market for almost 2 years in that time EA about quadrupled the properties on his books. I rang to take it off market and he was only to happy to agree. He told me they are getting into lettings now as nothing selling even with serious price drops.

Back