E working information

Thanks for clarifying - I just wanted it to be explicitly clear that people CANNOT claim the €3.20 as an expense in employment from Revenue. If the broadband is paid for, surely the remaining expense to be claimed is negligible. The proportion of a household’s electricity bill that could be apportioned to working at home must be in the single digits %, surely - 40hrs use of a 40watt light bulb per week, and the power used to run your computer..? Am I missing something?

I’d have thought, if anything, working from home actually saves people money. No commuting cost, no impulse purchases of overpriced coffee / bar of chocolate etc, lunch at home, (only showering once or twice during the week!)...
Well, I've done it, (claimed homeworking expenses eg electricity and heating) but it's not 3.20 a day if your employer is already paying you for the broadband anyway. But if you are working fulltime from home and are used to keeping all your bills then it is worth claiming, but only just. 3.20 is the max you can get an exemption for if the employer IS reimbursing you.

Well, I've done it, (claimed homeworking expenses eg electricity and heating) but it's not 3.20 a day if your employer is already paying you for the broadband anyway. But if you are working fulltime from home and are used to keeping all your bills then it is worth claiming, but only just. 3.20 is the max you can get an exemption for if the employer IS reimbursing you.

I actually had to take out a new broadband subscription last week just so I can use it for working (I was using mobile data up until that but it wouldn't cut it for video calls etc.). I have proof that I just started teh contract last week when I was asked to work from home - would this be the kind of thing I could claim back for tax? I am not bother too much about the light and heat etc.

Back