'e' mark on tyres - money back?

Any update on this, I have just purchased 4 new pirelli P6000 's and I can only find 1 tyre that has the E mark, i think E3 to be precise. Surely a top brand like Pirelli
would have this marking and it was a well known Irish tyre fitter installed them.

Forget any updates, no need for them. You need this E Mark .. end of. I would go straight back now to your well known Irish tyre fitter and hand them back. Particularly if your NCT is due up any time soon ...

Bob

i work at the Nct but im not repersenting them here (im just a lowly inspector). The E mark can be on the inner or outer sidewall, in fact on some tyres with the "outside" part facing correctly towords the outside, you will find the e mark on the inner sidewall. So this is not a major issue, as us "Nct crowd" do inspect all sides of your tyre to ensure its structure is sound and complies to the rules.

I have found very few tyres without an e mark, with the Chineese rubbish such as Sunny,Wanlai ect theese seem to mostly have an e mark but its a lottery tbh...there are also a few Goodyear Eagle NCT, and F1's going around that have "made in china" on them and theese have presented without the mark, however the ones made elsewhere such as Thailand/Poland do have the mark....also some Bridgestones have made their way here without the mark....but basicaly, why not leave it up to the NCT to inspect them, thats our job, and please bear in mind that a re-inspection on your tyres is free if its found that they dont have the mark, even despite the rubbish you will hear on Joe Duffy ect ect..

....but basicaly, why not leave it up to the NCT to inspect them, thats our job

Thanks for your input Killacam. However, the issue a number of people here have is that they have recently paid good money for tyres which do not bear this mark. In these cases, it would be best to return to the source and address the problem sooner rather than later.
Leo

Hi Killacam,

Good to hear that its both sides that are checked.

"but basicaly, why not leave it up to the NCT to inspect them, thats our job, and please bear in mind that a re-inspection on your tyres is free if its found that they dont have the mark ... "

The re inspection might be free but in the meantime the cost of new tyres to replace the non E mark ones aint free as Leo says!

If the Tyre Sales companies were being properly checked by the authorities this would not be an issue here AT ALL. I am told it is illegal to stock non E Marked tyres here in Ireland since 1997? It should not be up to the buyer to be watching out for this E Mark when buying, should it? In fact I would say most people only became aware of this E mark thing in recent months even though non E marked tyres have apparently been illegal here for many years.

Bob

... I am told it is illegal to stock non E Marked tyres here in Ireland since 1997 ...
It is illegal to purchase them for use on Irish roads and it is illegal to fit them; the onus seems to be on the car-owner to police this, unless we ask Biffo to create new tyre-fitting and stocking quangos.

Would it not be possible to go to the Small Claims Court if your tyre seller refuses to take back the non-e-marked tyres?

I think this is a disgrace, and reflects very badly on the motor industry, and on the government. It has been illegal since 1997.. so why is it an issue 13 years later?

There are plenty of other EU laws being ignored in this country... our government is a joke.

Everything... they are supposed to ensure that EU Directives are correctly transcribed into Irish Law, and that the new Irish laws are implemented and enforced. They often fail to do this. So they come across as liars and as incompentent, in my opinion.

Who else is going to ensure compliance with the law if not the government?

Can the police not take action against the companies selling illegal tyres? Have they collected evidence and sent it to the DPP? Has he chosen not to prosecute?

Or has everybody sat on their hands ignoring this issue for 13 years?

I'm happy though, I just found an E mark on all of my tyres.. saving me about 400 Euro in replacing them.

Incidentally, to correct another poster.. the arrow should show the rotational direction, not simply point to the front.. as the arrow will point in both directions according to whether you view it at the top of the tyre, or after half a turn when it's at the bottom.

Back