DVD Ripper Software

RugbyBoy

Hi,

Anybody got recommendations for a package will willl rip all my kids DVD as
AVI files..

I tied a few free but they had problems with my legit dvd saying they are protected.

I don't mind paying a bit rather than spend age trying lots of trial version

TIA
RB

Nero is your only man for ripping, encoding, burning and compiling. DVD Shrink for compressing with DVD Decryptor good for getting around laptops locking to the regions. ;)

used dvd shrink before handy lets you dump subtitles foreign language stuff to keep size down, as mentioned strips out region too.

Yes. OP says original DVDs are protected. This would be copy protection and only exists on commercial DVDs.

Maybe he just wants to make backups, dvd's are kinda easy to scratch and ruin.

Keep the orginal safe and ruin the cheap writeable dvd's instead.

I buy DVD sets and rip them so I have them on my laptop and can watch them when traveling.

I also buy CDs, rip them and copy them to SD cards so that I can listen to them on car radio without having to carry loads of CDs.

I hang my head in shame.

Usage Audio and data storage
Ummm... Data storage;)

[broken link removed]

I always wanted one of these:
200px-Commodore-Datassette.jpg

Back on topic. DVD Shrink will does a good job of creating backups,no more worries of Dora or Bob the Builder getting scratched. BTW I believe that the author of DVD Shrink now works of Nero, writing their DVD 'backup' software.

Excuse my ignorance, but are you asking for advice on how to do something which is in breach of copyright?

Defo no breaching copyright I have tons of kids DVDs whcih I want to convert to AVI. I can take my laptop on hols and the kids can watch all their movies

smart ripper does the job every time. free and very easy. Then media coder will compress to any format you want with wizards to guide.

Smart Ripper is no longer free and dvdshrink doesen't seem to be free either, anyone know of a simple dvd ripper to hdd that is fast and free?

just want to put my dvd on hdd for convenience, not to copy and distribute.

Handbrake is the job, except it rips to .mp4 format, not .avi.

The files play in Quicktime or iTunes.

Edit: Also requires VLC Media Player - which will play anything you throw at it.

Back