DVD recorders with Hard disk

burkemg

This has probably come up before.

any recommendatiuons on these.

What about the feature wherrby you can start to watch what you've been recording while it's recording the remainder of the programme. Is this a reality?

Thanks

Re: DVD recorderes with Hard disk

burkemg said:
What about the feature wherrby you can start to watch what you've been recording while it's recording the remainder of the programme. Is this a reality?
It's certainly a reality on many DVD recorders, though you need to ensure that you're using the right DVD (DVD -RW, I think).

burkemg you should really look at this thread for a lot of info on dvd recorders with hard drives

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=12637

Most - but not every one - of the hard drive recorders allow you to start watching a programme while it is still recording i.e start watching an 8pm to 9pm episode at 8.20pm and just flick through the adds and still finish at 9pm.

Note that my favourite, the Sony HX710, also manages to intelligent chapter and therefore allow you to skip ads automatically (most of the time!)

I have the phillips one from Powercity. It was 500 euro. It seems fine but the fan is a bit noisy.

I bought the Philips DVDR520 last year and am very disappointed with it. It's noisy, the remote is tacky, the menu system is unwieldly. When I copied my MP3s onto it, I found that the list is always in order of when you added the titles. The IU seems like a real rush job, barely useable. Worse still, is that it is sometimes unreliable. Occasionally recordings become unplayable & sometimes the machine freezes and you need to pull out the plug. The customer support web site is useless. DVD+RW is the best format for speed and for availability of discs. I'd check out the Sony if I were you.

pricilla said:
he said it's €499 and just as good as the Sony 710, which is over €700. The only thing is it has 80GB and the Sony has 160GB. He was saying you couldn't possibly need that much, but that's what they said about the computers at first too.

He is wrong about the above. First of all, the retail price of the HX710 in Ireland is about Eur570. It can be purchased at pixmania for Eur440 - cheaper than the Pioneer. The Pioneer does not record onto +R/+RW discs by the way only -R/-RW , the Sony records onto both formats. So if you need to give a particular format recording to someone else you won't have a choice with the Pioneer.
The 80gig hard drive only records 34 hours at standard play. That might seem a lot but it's easily filled up when you get used to a hard disc recorder. So double the space on the Sony is useful.

I'm not saying the Pioneer isin't a good machine by the way, just that the Sony is cheaper online and has some advantages.

podgerodge said:
It can be purchased at pixmania for Eur440

They don't seem to stock it any more.

Actually .. scratch that.
If I use the .co.uk URL, it can't find the string 'HX710'. If I use the .com URL, it finds it and prices it for me in Euro ?

Very strange indeed! I found it by going to pixmania.com , clicking on the irish flag, going to the TV/Video section and it is there in their best buys

Something must be playing up with their search engine.

And its down to Eur433 now!

I bought a goodmans[SIZE=+2] GHDD177DVD-R, it has an 80gb hdd, it seems to be too new on the market for any reviews to have popped up yet. €300 in Currys. I will update when I'm allowed play with it which is not till christmas day
[/SIZE]

I have just replaced my 20 month old Philips DVD recorder (non-HDD) with a Panasonic HDD one. The Philips was a lemon. It behaved quite well for the first year or so and then it started acting up in a big way. It's as if it knew it was out of warranty. It started to freeze regularly, stopped recognizing some discs that it used to play (these were not scratched or dirty), wouldn't record properly, and even when it did record, sometimes the finalized discs wouldn't play on other machines.

I tried firmware updates, various brands of disc, a lens cleaner - everything. I googled the model number and found a huge amount of people who had similar troubles. the consensus was that it wasn't worth the effort or expense of trying to get it fixed. Going by that experience, I'd have serious reservations about buying another Philips appliance.

I hope we fare out better with the Panasonic or I'll be blowing the dust off the good old reliable VCR that we've had for years.

Anyone out there using the Sony DVD Recorder RDR-HX710 with 160GB Harddisk?
Am seriously considering purchasing it after Christmas as a pressie for my good self.
It seems to have all the features I would need. Just wondering though if it will play any region discs and if not, can I fix that problem in the same way as I fixed the DVD player I have now (with a hack)
Any input would be appreciated....

From following some of the links in the other thread on DVD recorders it seems that hacking a Sony is a LOT of effort. I'm thinking of getting the Philips instead for that reason...

wowser said:
From following some of the links in the other thread on DVD recorders it seems that hacking a Sony is a LOT of effort. I'm thinking of getting the Philips instead for that reason...
The Philips machines are not the best, be warned.

One solution to multi-region would be to rip/copy the non-Region2 DVD on your PC and remove the region coding while you're at it. You then have a backup of your original and a disc that you can play. Another advantage would be that you could disable the annoying non-skip content too.

Another solution would be to buy a really cheap region-hackable player for the occasional non-region 2 disc that you might have.

I own the HX710 but have not bothered multi regioning it. I have been told that the Sony Shop on O'Connell st will unlock it for a few quid but you have to bring the machine in.

There is also a convuluted way with an all in one remote - do a google.

podgerodge said:
I own the HX710

Can you play recorded content on the HX710 while it is recording some new content simultaneously ? Can it record 2 different programmes that are in at the same time, either fully over over-lapping ?

If I have any funds left in the New Year, I am almost probably maybe getting one of these .. deffo.

TarfHead said:
Can you play recorded content on the HX710 while it is recording some new content simultaneously ? Can it record 2 different programmes that are in at the same time, either fully over over-lapping ?

If I have any funds left in the New Year, I am almost probably maybe getting one of these .. deffo.

Yes, you can watch a programme stored on the hard drive while you are recording another programme. You can even start watching a programme being recorded before it has finished recording. But as it has only one tuner you can't record 2 simultaneous programmes.

Back