DVD player picture quality

States

I have recently purchased a HD ready plasma screen from Samsung. I also have a dvd player and am using a HDMI cable to connect the two. However the picture quality of the DVD movies is very poor i.e. it is blurred as if there are two slightly overlapping images.
I was hoping that I'd get HD quality given the dvd player & TV can cope with HD. I've tried changing setting on both the TV & DVD player but with no improvement. Any other suggestions as to how I can get HD quality from my DVD's...or at leasst something better than I have at the moment.

Many thanks in advance of any suggestions.

Hi States... you say that you "dvd player" - is that a blue ray player? DVD players aren't transmitting in HD format... but even so, the picture should still be very watchable. How are the TV channels coming through? Have satellite channels on that TV? What condition is the cable itself? might be dust on the connection, crack within the cable itself... Can you check that cable in another device?

Sounds like either your DVD player or TV isn't doing a good job of upscaling the DVD picture to HD. What models are both?

Just to be clear, DVDs cannot produce HD images, is it a BlueRay player you have?

If it's a standard DVD player, try connecting it to the TV with a decent SCART cable instead of HDMI, will cut of some of the image conversion/manipulation being carried out on both ends.
Leo

It's a Silvercrest DVD player (not BlueRay) so not the best of quality (Lidl's own brand!) . I tried with a SCART I have but not much difference. The TV is a 42" Samsung. Sounds like Blueray is the way to go to get HD quality.
Thanks for your input.

Hi,
I have one of those DVD players aswell - but have no issue with it. Using a Scart cable into Sony LCD TV.
Just regarding BlueRay - they are expensive & you need specific BlueRay DVDs to be able to get the HD quality you are looking for - which are more expensive to buy / rent.
Before you go & buy the bluRay DVD player, have you another TV that you could try the DVD player on to verify that the issue is not with the Samsung TV?

The TV is a 42" Samsung. Sounds like Blueray is the way to go to get HD quality.

If you go to a store and explain your issue, be ready for them trying to sell you the most expensive HDMI cable they stock. I 'fell' for this patter and paid too much money for one (Monster ?). I've used much cheaper HMDI cable on the same DVD player and TV set-up, and did not notice any loss of picture quality.

For me, the TV is a 26" HD ready TV and the DVD player has upscaling, so it wasn't a true test of HD.

http://reviews.cnet.com/hdmi-guide/

Good point TarfHead. HDMI is a digital signal, so does not suffer from losses/interference in the same way analogue signal will in tranmission. Expensive cables will make no difference.
Leo

I have been using my DVD player via a SCART connection on a smaller flat TV I have (22" Sony that I bought about 5 yrs ago - not HD ready) and the quality is fine - no shadowing at all.

The bigger the screen, the more visible defects in the image are. You still have't told us what model TV it is? There are a lot of 42" Samsungs out there.

Try connecting a decent quality DVD player to the TV and see if that gives a decent picture quality. If it does, you know it's the cheap DVD player.
Leo

Back