DVD Player novice

M

MissRibena

Hi everyone

I'm a late-starter in the DVD player world. Just got the cheapo one in Aldi last week and it's up and running fine. However, when it's turned on, it takes over all the telly channels; no matter what one you switch to, you get the DVD.

(a) Is this normal?
(b) Can you change it so it's like the video player; with a dedicated channel of its own?

Rebecca

(a) Is this normal?

I suspect that the DVD is connected to the TV with a SCART cable such that the DVD uses the TV's A/V (Audio/Visual) input/channel. Perhaps there is something (unusual?) with your TV that when there is any A/V signal you cannot change channel or the A/V takes precedence? Have you checked the user manuals for the TV and DVD for information on this?

(b) Can you change it so it's like the video player; with a dedicated channel of its own?

Yes - if you connect the DVD to the TV using a co-axial rather than a SCART cable then you can simply tune one of the channels into the DVD. However it is usually recommended that you use a SCART when connecting a DVD to a TV for best sound/vision quality etc. (And do this directly as opposed to routing via a VCR which will most likely cause Macrovision interference such as "pulsing" light/dark, picture rolling etc.!).

What make and model of TV and DVD are you using?

I get this with the cheapo Power City DVD player too.

It is connected to the TV through a SCART multi-adaptor which also connects the video to the TV.

I could never work out why the DVD exhibited this behaviour and just resort to switching the thing off at the socket when it is not needed.

The video (which is also connected through SCART) does not exhibit this behaviour - it only takes over the TV when there is a tape loaded and playing. The DVD takes over the Tv when it is on - regardless of having anything in it or not.

z

Thanks guys.

The DVD is connected with SCART and my video isn't. I hadn't tried checking the manuals, cos I wasn't really familiar with the whole thing but I'll have a look about the AV thing Clubman mentions now.

It's not that much of a big deal because everything is fine if I switch off the DVD player (not just to standby). I just didn't know if I was missing something.

Thanks again
Rebecca

Edit: Sorry Clubman, forgot to answer the make questions. The telly is a powerpoint; nothing special and a cheapo one from about 5 years ago. The video is Tevion from Aldi.

The DVD is connected with SCART and my video isn't. I hadn't tried checking the manuals, cos I wasn't really familiar with the whole thing but I'll have a look about the AV thing Clubman mentions now.

See my previous posts - it looks like the DVD is forcing the TV into displaying the AV input channel even with it's not in use. The link above explains how pin/wire 8 of the SCART can be snipped to prevent this so that you have to manually select the DVD/AV input when in use. Only attempt to doctor your SCART lead(s) if you are confident that you know what you are doing - and switch off and unplug things before doing so. If in doubt, play it safe by getting a trained professional to make the necessary changes or simply switch off/unplug the DVD while not in use.

by putting the dvd on stanby it should also eliminate the problem. I have this problem too but only if the dvd is actually 'on' as against on standby.

Judging from what we've seen to date of the forthcoming Christmas schedule, you may find it preferable just to leave the DVD on all channels over the coming weeks... :rolleyes

There should be a button on your TV Remote that lets you flick between the AV channels and the ordinary channels. This will allow you leave the dvd connected the whole time, and still be able to flick between the TV channels

There should be a button on your TV Remote that lets you flick between the AV channels and the ordinary channels. This will allow you leave the dvd connected the whole time, and still be able to flick between the TV channels

Yes - but as I mentioned earlier it looks possible that the problem here is that the DVD is always forcing the TV into A/V mode via the SCART pin 8 as long as the DVD is plugged in, on standby and/or fully switched on. This is a problem that affects some DVDs and can be addressed by doctoring the SCART cable (to snip the pin 8 wire) disabling automatic AV functions switching.

Sorry clubman, hadn't read your previous post fully.

Back