dundrum vs goatstown vs mount merrion

irishguy

We are considering moving house to one of the above areas, from Harolds cross, which we love only we cant really afford the house we want in the area. Looking for more space for the family with nice cafes/restaurants and good facilities for the family i.e schools/park/playgrounds. Do people have opinions on the above areas?

Mount Merrion very nice area but would have thought it more expensive than Harold's Cross for property. Not many cafes/restaurants. Schools probably expensive if you go the private route.

Not familiar with Dundrum or Goatstown so can't comment.

Perhaps the houses would be cheaper in Harold's Cross after Covid19.

I would have thought prices would be similar enough for Harold's X, Dundrum and Goatstown.

Mount Merrion definitely more expensive than all three.

In Harold's X it is hard to find a property with a nice garden and no traffic noise, even with a budget.

Mount merrion is great - stillorgan is near enough for cafes and restaurants and Deer Park is a big plus amenity wise (along with union cafe and Michael'd restaurant in mount merrion itself). Dundrum is a lot busier I would have thought, especially traffic wise with the shopping centre.

I only have limited experience of these areas but my take on it would be Mount Merrion is beautiful, really exclusive but maybe a little boring. Lots going on in dundrum, maybe too much so with the huge shopping centre there. Goatstown might be a nice happy medium between the two.

Note, if you can't afford the house you're after in Harold's Cross, I'd doubt you can afford it in Mount Merrion.

As other posters have mentioned, Mount Merrion is a more exclusive part of south county Dublin. The Stillorgan Duel Carriageway isn't far away (for some of Mount Merrion), so there are a lot of options re public transport. There's a few cafes/restaurants there. Some schools in the area and parks too.

There's not a whole lot in Goatstown besides The Goat Grill pub. Very busy road as it is a main route into town. Not sure where you are looking at in Goatstown but there are lots of traffic so make sure you are off the main road.

Dundrum has gone through a massive transformation over the last 20 years. From a sleepy Dublin village to a massive shopping centre (sorry, town centre). Tons of apartments have been built there as well as DTC. Lots to do there with the cinema, restaurants and the DTC. A few pubs too but the ones in the old village seem to have died a death from the way they used to be. The LUAS goes through Dundrum, so easy public transport to town. Depending on where you are, be prepared for lots of traffic there too, especially on the weekends with all the shoppers.

But then, if you were looking at Harold's Cross, you are willing to accept the traffic.

Wouldn't have thought any of the three options were any cheaper than Harold's Cross?

Mount Merrion would certainly be more expensive

I grew up close to Goatstown. It is a lovely area. A few nice coffee shops and restaurants. Bus route but busy road during peak hours, no bus lane. Walking distance to UCD Belfield, side gate entrances from the Roebuck Road. Close to Stillorgan shopping centre. Our Lady's Grove school and Benildus.

Mount Merrion would be more expensive, depends on the road though. Good SuperValu. Junior school beside church. Oatlands College and Irish School nearby. Also close to Stillorgan Shopping Centre plus UCD Belfield. Deerpark for walks, football, tennis etc. A few good restaurants and coffee shops. Beside N11 with lots of bus choices.

along with union cafe and Michael'd restaurant in mount merrion itself

A lot of the locals aren't too happy about the redevelopment planned for the Union Cafe site (planning ref: D17A/0951).

Where you're travelling to work / schools might be a factor worth considering.

Last edited:
Another option would be Kilmacud - between Dundrum and Stillorgan. Walking distance to Dundrum and close to Goatstown and Stillorgan. But less busy roads. Not sure what the best open space locally would be but only 5/10 mins drive to Deerpark or Marley Park. Can't imagine it would be Mount Merrion prices

As others have said, I'm intrigued by where in your search is cheaper than Harold's Cross. Might be worth putting up a few of the houses you're looking at and comparing to what you had hoped to get in Harold's Cross but were priced out of.

Just check the bus connects plan before you buy, just in case you're going to lose your footpath or anything else where you buy. M Merrion is nice and quiet but I would have thought v expensive.

Thanks for all the replys. We are looking for a large semid (with side garage/space to extend at side and back) so around 180-200sqm when finished. Not that interested in a period style property, they look lovely, but they aren't really setup for modern living unless your willing to spend a very large amount. Sittingroom and study at the front and large kitchen/dining/living/utility at the back. 4/5 bed with a decent size garden and side access in a quite area, which is close to decent transport links <20mins from Luas or walking distance to town (which we currently are), some decent cafes/restaurants and good schools. The issue is those houses don't really exist in the Harold's cross area (it ticks all the other boxes), not that we are directly priced out there just aren't many/any in the area. The houses that would be closer to what we are looking for in the area would be in Rathmines/Rathgar/Terenure. The first 2 are mostly out of our budget when work is factored in, Terenure is a possibility, but hasn't the best transport links (bus is a nightmare in peak traffic) so we are thinking a bit further out and close to the luas.
The areas I mentioned above would have a lot more houses that tick the boxes.

Mount Merrion has a number of houses that tick all the boxes with massive gardens, albeit at the higher end of our budget. Goatstown/Dundrum houses mostly seem to to have a narrow site i.e hard to do a side extension and maintain rear access. Also Dundrum has a number of issues with flooding, but the best access to Luas/cafes restaurants not too sure about what the schools are like.

Mount Merrion doesn't seem to have many shops/restaurants and you would have to drive mostly.

Goatstown seems to be good location wise to shops/restaurants/luas (in Dundrum) and also close to deer park. It also will be getting an educate together primary/secondary soon which is handy.

Few things that concern me about goatstown for the houses near Hollywood/st Aidans drive is possible motorway route, if it goes ahead and there isn't really much in the area itself.

Houses in each areas that might be of interest to us;

[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]

Hopefully the upcoming downturn will reduce the higher end fixerup market disproportionately and builders prices, like the last downturn. Then we can stay in our current area

Keep an eye on anything that comes up in Knocknashee. Solid Jennings built houses, both garage and attic can be converted.

It's in the middle of the dundrum, mount merrion, kilmacud axis. Walking distance to two luas stops.

2 sold recently for under €800k, both needed some modernisation. All are detached with decent gardens.

About 60% of residents are the original buyers from the 60's and 70's

There is a very good SuperValu supermarket in the middle of Mount Merrion.

Trees Road upper has a number of houses that have not been refurbished yet so you could keep an eye on these. It's a nice road and within walking distance of Stillorgan shopping centre.

There is a very good SuperValu supermarket in the middle of Mount Merrion.

Trees Road upper has a number of houses that have not been refurbished yet so you could keep an eye on these. It's a nice road and within walking distance of Stillorgan shopping centre.

That SV in MM is amazing - great selection of artisan products etc. Proximity to shops is not really an issue in MM so I would not let that be a factor OP.

Had a chance to walk around the above areas a bit more (thanks 5km limit). Alot of the Dundrum estates looked a bit tired/not as well maintained and not as nice as I expected. I assume Dundrum has just become a more desirable/expensive place since the luas/shopping centre opened, where as goatstown/mount Merrion I assume we're always more desirable.

Goatstown/mount Merrion was a lot nicer. There isn't much of a village in goatstown though and I would have expected a few more cafes/shops. Mount Merrion was like being in the country side, very quiet (I assume the lockdown was having a big impact) seems to be a good bit near by in stillorgan.

Mount Merrion was like being in the country side, very quiet (I assume the lockdown was having a big impact) seems to be a good bit near by in stillorgan.
Have you considered Stillorgan itself ? next door to Mount Merrion.

It has schools, transport links, cafe’s, shops, pubs, restaurants, parks etc and is probably 20% less expensive than Mount Merrion for a similar house.

Have you considered Stillorgan itself ? next door to Mount Merrion.

It has schools, transport links, cafe’s, shops, pubs, restaurants, parks etc and is probably 20% less expensive than Mount Merrion for a similar house.
Ya I would also consider Stillorgan . Some parts of it are a bit further away from stuff, ideally, I would like to be within walking distance of Dundrum Town Centre/a decent park /Luas

Back