Dunboyne Castle Development Query

craig.doyle8

I am looking at a house in The Crescent, Dunboyne Castle but have heard rumours about pyrite and badly built homes. Could anybody recommend or advise me away from this development?

Welcome to AAM, I have moved your thread from Homes & Gardens to here where such topics are discussed.

I know somebody living there since the estate was built. No problems with the house or the area that I am aware of.

Yes there is a problem with pyrite in this development. Several houses on The Heath have already been repaired, and there are problems in the apartments in The Court also. I am unsure as to whether the problem exists in The Crescent area.

We have been looking at this estate for a while however auctioneers advise that pyrite is an issue. I would be concerned from a resale point or fear of unknown of cost of potential repairs down the line.

We have been looking at this estate for a while however auctioneers advise that pyrite is an issue. I would be concerned from a resale point or fear of unknown of cost of potential repairs down the line.

Just ask to see an official certificate from the seller prior to buying (either showing testing is negative to pyrite in their house, or that the pyrite removal work has been completed). Not the entire estate was impacted, and many of the impacted houses have got pyrite removed in past 2-3 years. Anyways, it's pretty common to ask for certificate for any house built between 2000 and 2008 in any estate in Dublin/Meath/Kildare region.

We bought our house in the relaunch of the final phase in Dunboyne Castle after the housing crisis in early 2014, we were aware of the pyrite issue in the estate back then already, but these houses had got pyrite removed before going to the market, and came with an official I.S. 398-2 certificate, so this dealt with the uncertainty for us and we're 100% sure that there is no pyrite now in our house. A second phase of repairs has just completed for number of houses and the apartment in The Court in late 2016 and early 2017, and I suppose they would come with similar official certificate. You can spot houses that have got pyrite removal work as they have fresher/newer concrete around the base of the house.

Back