Duke of Marmalade cgt point

p walsh

I saw this in other thread, and can't understand it.

Example: Fund worth 1.5m at start of year. you make 5% of 1.5m; fund now worth 1.575m
Cash in 25.4k; that's 1.6% of your holding
Capital Gain = .016 x (1.575 - 1.5) = 1,200
The point is that you have only realised a small fraction of your capital gain

Surely you are charged 33% CGT on the 75k gain?

Sorry for not understanding this but would really appreciate some clarity! TY

CGT is linked to date of disposal, you dont pay CGT on shares you still hold, its an unrealised gain.

You gotta love the Duke.

Its confusing as hell, its wrong, and yet at a certain level he's right.

Confusing, well obviously. I mean who works things out like the above. Actuaries perhaps, but they already understand what is happening. It a good job accountants are not so cavalier, because the rounding error in the above example mistakenly leads him to conclude that no tax is due whereas there is a small liability if you sell €25,400 of shares.

He is wrong because 1.6% of €1,575,000 is €25,200 and not €25,400

He is right because

You sold shares for €25,200. (not €25,400)

They cost you €24,000

So you made a profit €1,200 so no Capital Gains Tax due.

The remaining shares will be subject to CGT if and when you sell them.

You gotta love the Duke.

Its confusing as hell, its wrong, and yet at a certain level he's right.

Confusing, well obviously. I mean who works things out like the above. Actuaries perhaps, but they already understand what is happening. It a good job accountants are not so cavalier, because the rounding error in the above example mistakenly leads him to conclude that no tax is due whereas there is a small liability if you sell €25,400 of shares.

He is wrong because 1.6% of €1,575,000 is €25,200 and not €25,400

He is right because

You sold shares for €25,200. (not €25,400)

They cost you €24,000

So you made a profit €1,200 so no Capital Gains Tax due.

The remaining shares will be subject to CGT if and when you sell them.
Well cremeegg I was wrong but you were wrong about why I was wrong. Sort of backstop on the backstop.:rolleyes:
Looked up the original thread. The point was to realize €25,400 so that the 5% gain would be €1,270, the CGT exemption. But even that is slightly wrong because 5% gain on the original is only 4.76% of the final. Thus in the example the optimal sale amount is €26,670.:oops:

Back