Dublin restaurants : L'ecrivain, Guilbauds or Chapter One?

Re: L'ecrivain, Guilbauds or Chapter One?

Looking to book somewhere for my wife's 30th. She want let me throw a party so want to send her an5/6 of her firends out for a girls night. Was think about most of the rest. listed here but thinking they might like something a little more relaxed and was also thinking about Ely or Town Bar&Grill.

Town Bar & Grill. Good choice. Had forgotten about there. Getting a bit peckish now!

Chapter One is best value for money in my opinion. It's also on the right side of the Liffey... like all the best things in Dublin! ;)

Town Bar & Grill. Good choice. Had forgotten about there. Getting a bit peckish now!

I think "Town" is a disaster. The food is very ordinary and way over-priced. I also had an experience with a snooty waiter in here, serious attitude problem. Not recommended for a nice birthday treat.

Guildbauds is the best spot in Dublin IMO. Expensive but worth every penny if you're into your fine-dining. Been to Chapter One also; nice, but it was a long time ago. The food and price may have changed significantly since they were awarded their Michelin star.

Thornton's has suffered from a lot of negative reviews in the last year. Also lost one of their two Michelin stars (not the be-all and end-all admittedly).

Go for Guildbauds, it's excellent. All the staff are French, which just adds to the ambience!

Agreed that 'town bar' place is overrrated and food very ordinary. Would not go back, personally. In that caregory of eateries, would say 'fallon & byrne' superior at much lower prices.

Why? It's not a trick question, I'm genuinely interested.

Nothing sinister...I had suckling pig and it just wasn't as nice as I'd had elsewhere. And no, I didn't ask for french/freedom fries!

Mint in Ranalagh. Definitely the best.

I think "Town" is a disaster. The food is very ordinary and way over-priced. I also had an experience with a snooty waiter in here, serious attitude problem. Not recommended for a nice birthday treat.

!

i had a similiar experience in Town, useless and stroppy waitress who was more intent on fawning over the bigger table (and bigger tip) next to us. Was waiting 20mins for them to take away our starters only to be told we had left our cuterly in the wrong position....they then had the cheek of asking us to finish our coffees because we were to leave the table be 9pm..

needless to say i would avoid

i had a similiar experience in Town, useless and stroppy waitress who was more intent on fawning over the bigger table (and bigger tip) next to us. Was waiting 20mins for them to take away our starters only to be told we had left our cuterly in the wrong position....they then had the cheek of asking us to finish our coffees because we were to leave the table be 9pm..

needless to say i would avoid

wow. That is bad! Been there a few times and I have never had reason to complain but had that happened me I would never go back either

Bang or Ely for a bunch of girlrs, near the Shelbourne for cocktails, and great atmosphere. Diep le shaker another good one for cocktails and atmosphere. The others are a bit dull and couplely for a young bunch of 30 somethings.

Of the three in the OP, it has to be Guilbauds, for the food, but also the service and ambiance. The place is amazing. It might appear a bit stuffy on first sight, but they really do go out their way to make you feel special. Very friendly, service is faultless and the food is out of this world.

Had a few bad reports of L'ecrevain from people I'd trust. Chapter One good too, but Patrick's is definitely the place (better than Thorntons too, in my opinion).

been in both chapter one and l'ecrivain in the past month..

loved chapter one (although they never let the female order the wine, even though it was a business dinner and I was paying)...very relaxed and unobtrusive service. Not at all impressed with l'ecrivain. It was a long lunch and we were there late but I was surprised when they started hoovering around our feet.

For the man with his wife's birthday, I wouldn't imagine either is appropriate. Ely is good and alsoenjoyed Ely CHQ.

...although they never let the female order the wine, even though it was a business dinner and I was paying

:eek: What happened? Did they ignore you or pass the menu to a bloke? Seriously, I'd be soooooo mad.

thank you all so much you have been most helpful!!! Decided to go with Chapter One, although cant get a weekend between now and Xmas!!!!! settled for a wk night, will let you all know how it goes cheers

Ely is good and alsoenjoyed Ely CHQ.

I used to love Ely but had a really bad experience there that put me off for years. Recently went back and enjoyed the food.

As for Ely CHQ you're the first person I've heard praising it. Haven't been myself but one of my best friends arrived at 7.30, ordered at 7.45. Got their wine at 8.15 and their starters at 9!! Group of 6 so it wasn't as if the group size was unmanageable. They weren't impressed with the food either. I've heard other bad reports about the service there too.

Of the three restaurants in the title I'd go for Chapter One every time.... I think it's got a nicer dining room than the other two, the food is every bit as good, I prefer their style of service compared to the overly obsequious service in Guilbauds in particular - and last but not least Chapter One is a bit cheaper than the other two as well.

Back