Dublin restaurants : L'ecrivain, Guilbauds or Chapter One?

lucylou

Hi all,
Hope you can help, looking for a really nice restaurant for a special birthday present. Does anyone have any experience of any of the three restaurants listed?
Thnks

Re: L'ecrivain, Guilbauds or Chapter One?

Personally, I'd go for Chapter One. Last time I ate in l'Ecrivain I found the service to be pretty average for such an expensive place - waiting ages for menus, every waiter who passed our table topped up the wine and water, making it hard to keep a conversation going without being interrupted every five minutes. It's also a bit more stuffy than Chapter One. Haven't eaten in Guilbaud's so can't comment on it. I haven't been in Chapter One in a while but have really enjoyed it in the past.

Guilbaud's is much better than Chapter One but it's also much more expensive.

Now after reading thru other threads what bout Shanahans on the green??

Never been to Guilbauds.
Based on my personal experience, I would rate l'Ecrivain as much better than Chapter One.
On my one visit to Chapter one, thought the food was very disappointing for the price .
Never been to Shanahans but it is a steak house, very different menu to the other three places. It depends on what you are looking for.

Last edited:

Now after reading thru other threads what bout Shanahans on the green??

IMO it's a good steak house that charges way, way too much for what it gives.
Thornton's is the top restaurant in Dublin but it's more expensive than any of the above. My favourite place at the moment is Poulot's in Donnybrook. Cheaper than the old Ernie's that it has replaced but if anything the food is better. I have heard that their wine list is not as good as it should be but it's fine for me. One Pico is also excellent.

I've only been to Chapter One once and found it to be very mediocre given the prices. I wouldn't rush back there. Haven't been to the other two but have heard good things about Guilbaud's.

I love chapter one - am bringing my mum there for her 65 th birthday

I've only been to Chapter One once and found it to be very mediocre given the prices. I wouldn't rush back there. Haven't been to the other two but have heard good things about Guilbaud's.
I was only in Chapter One once. It was for lunch and I didn't think it was up to much. That said, it gets very good reviews so I would give it another chance if anyone want's to bring me:D

Chapter 1 gets my vote for the room and service as much as the food but I would eat in any of them if you made me!! Shanahans is overpriced in my opinion. Have to agree with Purple about Poulots. Was there a couple of months ago and it was amazing. Well on the way to getting a star so might be worth trying it before it does

I've had the tasting menu in l'ecrivain several times and it has always been fantastic.
I've also had tasting menu in Guilbauds. It is much more expensive but was also excellent. I don't think I'd go back though as it is just too much money.
For a special occasion, the tasting menu is great as it takes hours to get through it and so it's a real evening's entertainment.

I always loved Chapter One but was disappointed with the food the last time I was there which was about 4 months ago. I would give it another chance though and it certainly used to be more reasonable than the other 2.

(I've no connection with any of the above, other than paying a visit from time to time.)

I'd rate Guilbaud's as the best, then Chapter One, then L'Ecrivain.
Personally Shanahans is my favourite...if you like steak go for the t-bone. Alternatively leave some room for a starter and the onion ring tower and have the petit filet!
I'm not a fan of Thorntons

chapter one for me, but Brownes is lovely too, [broken link removed] but chapter one! :) mhh going back on 16/11 can't wait!

Why? It's not a trick question, I'm genuinely interested.

I have to say I didn't rate it too highly either. Was only there once though so I would be reluctant to write it off completely. I thought the food was lovely but I found the whole experience rather underwhelming. Especially when compared to Partick Guilbauds which is where they are competing against. I know people who think the opposite though

Looking to book somewhere for my wife's 30th. She wont let me throw a party so i want to send her and 5/6 of her firends out for a girls night. Was thinking about most of the rest. listed here but thinking they might like something a little more relaxed and was also thinking about Ely or Town Bar&Grill. any other suggestions

Back