Dublin - Orlando Direct

Edel V

Is it possible to fly Dublin - Orlando direct ? I had thought that Aer Lingus did it but can't find it on their website. If not what is the simplest route to take. Am looking to book for Summer '07 and am going to try and book flights and hotels myself, any advice welcome.

Edel

Aer Lingus dropped Orlando last year.

It was operated as a "scheduled charter" flight because of restrictions in the horribly outdated US-Ireland aviation treaty that regulates what flights can be run between the two countries.

It won't be coming back in a hurry I wouldn't imagine as they've not got spare aircraft hanging around and when they do get more capacity Orlando probably wouldn't be a profitable place to deploy it (it's a very seasonal destination with pretty low yields)

There are direct charter flights to Orlando through various tour operators no idea if they'd sell you seat only ... apart form that the most popular option would probalby be with Delta Airlines connecting through Atlanta.

All of the US carriers servicing Ireland (Continental, Delta, American & US Airways) offer connecting services through their IRL/US gateways (Newark, Atlanta, Boston, Philadelphia). Delta via Atlanta is the shortest route with the most connections - Continental via Newark is probably the cheapest route. You should also check what fares Trailfinders can offer - they are very competitive on North American routes.

If you're travelling with children, BA via London is worth considering - we found them generally the cheapest and there is the BIG advantage of individual screens for the children to watch whatever they want - this has saved our sanity both times we've travelled to Florida. It's personal preference but we preferred one short flight (1 hour) and one very long one (8-9 hours) rather than one medium (2-4 hours) and one longish (7 hours) - better chance for sleep on the way back. It's a pain that you can't clear immigration in Dublin but we got through really quickly as they're very geared up for tourists at Orlando airport.
Any of the flight websites (e.g. travelocity.com) will show you all the options plus how long they take in total.
If you're going BA, check out flying to Tampa - can be cheaper and if you're staying in SW Orlando, it's only an extra 30-45 minutes drive from the airport.

I know you've asked about Dublin to Orlando, but last year we got a great deal on a charter flight flying from Belfast. At the time the tour operators (mytravel.com) were able to sell us a week car / flight / hotel for £179 (insurance for car was extra), in mid April. So cost wise, it might be worth your while checking out.
It was a direct flight, which may help if you are travelling with children, service was good, and it was into Sanford. The parking while we were gone was cheaper than the equivalent stay at Dublin, and there is a hotel in the grounds of the airport if you wanted to stay before flying out.

We have tried most ways of going to Orlando, and the best/ easiest is to fly to London and fly to Orlando directly from there.

Direct Holidays fly weekly from June to Sept direct from Dublin to Sanford. I think flight only also available on these charters.:)

Back