Dublin: Neighbour burning household waste in his stove. V bad smell emitted.

M

maureen

hi,

I would appreciate your comments as I am not sure if I am getting bothered about nothing.

My neighbour has a stove fire. They are pretty much burning all their household waste in it.

But my problem is the awful smell outside - it's getting on my nerves.

Even my children commenting on the awful smell outside, one said it smells like a farm. It smelled like slurry.

We live in Dublin in well built up area.

Should I just put up and shut up ?

Dublin City Council:

[broken link removed]

EPA launches 24 hour pilot phoneline for environmental pollution complaints

* Residents of Dublin City can now log an environmental complaint by phoning 1850 365 121 - 24hrs a day/7 days a week.

* Typical environmental pollution complaints include illegal dumping, back yard burning, water pollution, and noise nuisance.

* All calls will be answered by dedicated staff and followed up by local authorities, and/or the Gardaí/EPA.

hi,

I would appreciate your comments as I am not sure if I am getting bothered about nothing.

My neighbour has a stove fire. They are pretty much burning all their household waste in it.

But my problem is the awful smell outside - it's getting on my nerves.

Even my children commenting on the awful smell outside, one said it smells like a farm. It smelled like slurry.

We live in Dublin in well built up area.

Should I just put up and shut up ?

I would be very concerned about this. It's not just a smell issue. Toxic substances are released when burning rubbish. Report them and don't be embarressed. Your family's health is being endangered by this illegal practice.

A.

hi, thanks for the replies. Yes they do have a compost but that is not the problem. the compost is in a bin. I only get the smell at the front when
the wind is blowing the smoke...I know they are burning more than fuel...I have noted the other replies and will keep in mind. I don't really want to go down route of reporting them. I think when I get a chance I will bring up the subject with them and take it from there.

and if they don't listen to you and they don't stop and you do report them then they'll definitely know it's you.

Your options are simple ... report or just put up with it.

tenants of mine had a chimney fire recently enough. Fire brigade said inside of chimney appeared to be coated with sticky gung which made it harder to put out and more smokey than normal - usual in the case where people burn their household waste. I'd believe this of my former tenants as found out they weren't paying any refuse charges.

Back