Dual heating question

Endean

Hi folks

I have duel fuel heating. A solid fuel Stove with back boiler and an oil/kerosene boiler. At the moment when stove is lit, it heats all rads in the house but when oil boiler is on it heats half of them. This was not case before.
Thought about bleeding rads but they are all hot when stove is lit. Any I ideas greatly appreciated.

If you turn off the radiators that currently get hot when the boiler is on, do the others then get hot? Were the radiators ever split into zones, upstairs and downstairs perhaps?

Thanks for reply. It is all one floor and a fee months ago both te stove and the boiler heated all. But now stove heats all and boiler just half bit maybe I will try turning those ones off to see what happens. Thanks

I don't know the answer but there is a dedicated plumbing forum over on boards.ie, you may get more informed guidance over there.

My tuppence worth of technical advice: don't make any changes that you cannot successfully reverse yourself until the new year because you'll struggle to get a plumber this week if you mess it up.

Good luck.

Turn off all the radiators by closing the radiator valves fully.

Try to close off the hot water cylinder coil. There should be a gate valve which is used to balance this circuit. Close this valve counting the number on turns to fully closed.
This will allow for correct resetting.

Set the circulating pump to full speed.

Open one radiator valve fully and turn on the heating system. Leave the system running for 5 minutes. Bleed this radiator. Switch heating system off.

Repeat this for each radiator.

By doing this each part of the heating pipework gets a good blast of water flow and
this can clear air locks.
You could try as above. There might be a partial air lock in a part of your pipework. Do this while your system is set to kerosene boiler

Back