Dryer - condenser or vented?

April Raine

What is involved in installing a vented dryer? Would modern houses have an exit hose wall vent built in?

Condenser is more expensive but easier to install. I did a quick calc on the esb calc and got vented at 4.27 per 2 months and condenser at 6.32 per 2 month assuming one wash load a week

I would be interested to hear of experiences with dryers

hi april,
i dont know about the running cost of either.
the vented dryer you have to drill a,i think its 4'' hole ,thats no easy task,fit a flexable pipe to fittings you put on wall,and fit a flap cover on outside.so when you use the dryer all the condinsation and heat goes out the pipe.and when not in use cold winter air blows in.
with the condenser you plug in, a container collects the water and the heat is distributed around the room,very nice on a winters day,guess which one i have??;)

We always had a vented dryer but after going for a condenser I would never go back. condenser is great. The only down side is that you have to emty it after every 2 or 3 washes. This takes approx: 30 seconds.

i find my electric bill expensive,we have 3 adult children living with us
but children will be children and think things are never going to run out
,i couldn't tell you weather its more expensive than a vented dryer to run,to be honest i never considered that,as they both dry the clothes!!!!!!!but according to your figures it would apear to be.

Ok thanks for the feedback. The condenser is a little more expensive to run according to the figures i got but seems much more convenient

the condenser dryer is a gift...can be moved anywhere in the house with no messing...well worth the little bit extra.

In my experience the vented type give less trouble and last much longer. humans being human forget to empty etc causing other issues that long term impact on the machine.

My Whirlpool condenser dryer has the water container at the top of the machine - where the detergent drawer is on the washing machine. It also has a facility to bypass the water container and pipe the water out directly into the waste pipe. So I never have to empty it.

My Whirlpool condenser dryer has the water container at the top of the machine - where the detergent drawer is on the washing machine. It also has a facility to bypass the water container and pipe the water out directly into the waste pipe. So I never have to empty it.

yes some condenser dryers have this option, and is a handy option.

condenser dryers do have more components so have more parts to fail.

drying clothes is expensive, best to ensure you spin as fast as your clothes allow, therefore the dryer is not used as long.

Last edited:
Back