Drunk FG TD 'threat' to ruin garda career.

This is the kind of thing that has dogged Irish politics for years. A member of the Garda Force does the right thing and suddenly her career prospects are threatened.

I think this is a resigning matter for abuse of power. The TD should resign immediately.

I do not accept the amount of alcohol taken as an excuse. If the TD cannot conduct himself properly with alcohol taken, that's his problem.

Brings me back to where a Presidential Election was lost by a certain FF minister when live on the Late Late Show one of his handlers informed the population that when in a pub after hours which was raided by the Gardai - He offered the Garda a pint or a transfer.

Our politicians, it seems have not learned anything over the years.

This is the kind of thing that has dogged Irish politics for years. A member of the Garda Force does the right thing and suddenly her career prospects are threatened.

I think this is a resigning matter for abuse of power. The TD should resign immediately.

Are you taking the p*ss??? A TD had a few drinks and was on his way home. It's not as if he's the Taoiseach and responsible for running the country. Taking on the Gardai is never clever but in fairness, in the scheme of things its no big deal.

Yes, it is a big deal - threatening the career of a member of Garda Siochána. This is bullying.

The politician has apologised for the incident (2 months later) for causing embarrassment to his constituents and party.

He should resign immediately. If one cannot behave himself after a few drinks, he shouldnt have drank in the first place.

Are you taking the p*ss??? A TD had a few drinks and was on his way home. It's not as if he's the Taoiseach and responsible for running the country. Taking on the Gardai is never clever but in fairness, in the scheme of things its no big deal.

Are you serious? An elected politician threatens the career of a young guard for doing her and possibly saving the tds life or other peoples lives and it is no big deal. The people in this country deserve the morally bankrupt politicians from all parties that we now have in place. Ridiculous comment.

+1 Leper and Sunny. It was a gross abuse of power. The fact that FF and Labour have not made a fuss about it is very telling; their guys are no better.

FF can't say a word as they'd sound like hypocrites, mind you the timing of the revelation is suspicious!

+1 Leper and Sunny. It was a gross abuse of power. The fact that FF and Labour have not made a fuss about it is very telling; their guys are no better.

Could be, but could be staying out the way of official an inquiry. In fact I'm thinking a bit of kudos to FF on this, if the shoe was on the other foot, the story would have had far more than a couple of paragraphs. We had a week of front page news because Cowen was rough the morning after. No laws broken, just some bad judgement.

A FG TD attempts to break the rules of the road, then threatens the career of a Garda and it gets a couple of paragraphs.

FF can't say a word as they'd sound like hypocrites.

Yeah and FG are very quiet as well. As is Labour. Our political system is a complete joke. Enda Kenny was told on the night about the incident and simply said 'ignore it'. Good strong responsible leadership. Didn't even make him apologise the following day. The story had to break in the media first.

To be honest, I don't usually agree with politician bashing as I think most of them are in it for the right reasons but I have become totally disillusioned with the whole system. There is a complete vacumn of leadership and accoutability across the board.

He should be issued his P45. End of story. PJ Sheehan also came top of list for expenses and appears to be found of his few jars : [broken link removed]

t I have become totally disillusioned with the whole system. There is a complete vacumn of leadership and accoutability across the board.
here here...

pigs at a trough is the image that springs to mind.

I wouldn't even mind some graft and chancery if they didn't waste such enormous sums of our money. I'd consider a few quid in perks as money well spent were that the case. Unfortunately, oink oink

He should be issued his p45. There is no accountability, they do something wrong, two months later when they're forced to make an apology it gets a few paragraphs in the papers, bit of publicity and that's the end of it. If anyone else was to carry out their job in this manner they would be sacked or disciplinary procedures would be carried out at the very least.

He should be issued his p45. There is no accountability, they do something wrong, two months later when they're forced to make an apology it gets a few paragraphs in the papers, bit of publicity and that's the end of it. If anyone else was to carry out their job in this manner they would be sacked or disciplinary procedures would be carried out at the very least.
Unfortunately his employer, the people of his constituency, will probably not issue him with his P45.
We should all be very clear about this; we the people elect our TD’s and we are the only ones who can or should be able to get rid of them. Based on the last 80 years TD’s have a very reasonable expectation that as long as they grease the wheels and pump the flesh in their local constituency they will keep their seat.

Our TD’s are a reflection of us the electorate and how much ignorance and contempt we have for our own laws and our own democracy.

Unfortunately his employer, the people of his constituency, will probably not issue him with his P45.
We should all be very clear about this; we the people elect our TD’s and we are the only ones who can or should be able to get rid of them. Based on the last 80 years TD’s have a very reasonable expectation that as long as they grease the wheels and pump the flesh in their local constituency they will keep their seat.

Our TD’s are a reflection of us the electorate and how much ignorance and contempt we have for our own laws and our own democracy.

Yup, unless he's been lax in attending local funerals, can't see this bothering the electorate as it should.

Exactly. Willie O'Dee will top the poll in Limerick. John O'Donaghue will be elected in Kerry. Michael Lowry and Beverly Flynn will be elected. Trevor Seargent. Well ok, that it is a step too far!

Enda Kenny knew about this incident for months. What action did he or FG take aganist Mr. Sheehan.

Funny how Mr. Sheehans apology only came this morning

PJ Sheehan is, if I heard correctly, 77 years old. I don't think re-election is top of his list of priorities ;) !

Exactly. Willie O'Dee will top the poll in Limerick. John O'Donaghue will be elected in Kerry. Michael Lowry and Beverly Flynn will be elected. Trevor Seargent. Well ok, that it is a step too far!

The final straw will be if Bertie gets into the park in 2011!

Are you for real? Are you a West Cork Fine Gael supporter by any chance?

What the Taoiseach did is bad and he is rightly being hammered. So should this other clown.
Both should be issued P45s.

Worst post ever on AAM shesells.

Back