drowning in debt 2 incomes, 2 children

Looking at the figures presented it seems almost one full salary is going out to cover Childcare and bus fares so I'm wondering does it pay the second earner to continue working. With the transfer of the married tax credit and homemakers tax credit to the working spouse there is very little difference in the take home pay.

Could that gap be made up by caring for another child in the home. Some savings may be made by having more time to shop around for better value in food and other items and doing more home cooking

Just a suggestion in relation to your UPC bill. Mine was 55 euro's per month. This was for digital and broadband. I thought I'd ring them today and see if I could get it reduced. I got through to the billing department. They were going to knock 5 euro a month off. I said I'd have to cancel it then. They transferred me to their "Retentions Department". They offered me a deal of 31 euro per month but I'd be in a new 12 month contract. I was delighted saving 24 euro per month :). If you don't ask....

Oh the phone bill sounds expensive. I'm with Meteor bill pay 20 euro per month 200 mins anytime any network and 200 texts. I had to sign a 18 month contract but so what. The other deals people have mentioned are probably better again...

in relation to the curtains... well just google 'hanging curtain poles' and you will see loads and loads of lessons on sites such as utube on how to hang curtain poles. it's foolproof honestly. it shows you how to work out where studs are and what rawl plugs to buy depending on what type of wall you have (they'll show you the different types of walls that are out there too). surely you can borrow a drill from someone. i've hung shelves, curtain poles, paintings, and shower doors by following these diy instructions and the best thing is that they're free. there's an irish DIY guy who features on rte's four live (his name escapes me sorry) and he's also on utube. if i can do it then anyone can. it's saved me a fortune too.

also loads of shops such as dunnes and shaws have curtains reduced in sale. same with home focus. i got a pair recently (that i was keeping my eyes on for some time) that were reduced from 200 to 50 euro.

best of luck.

bb

I have genuinely never put the heating on at night in my life, I didn't even know people did this! Although I do love my electric blanket!

Hi Blueskie,

I know its much later, but i just heard of a great thing, a girl i know needed handy work done in house no money, so she opted to mind this couples kids for weekend and the husband did the bits she needed doing, tit for tat, maybe you could do something like that to get curtains up.

45 per month, is not huge on gym and I am with you there, I am in the horrors and without my swim etc I dont know how i would cope, so try hold on to that,

we both changed to meteor, €20 per month free calls meteor to meteor and then€20 to spend on others, and I think at moment they are giving another €20 when you buy so thats good.

For christmas I am giving the rest of family, babysitting vouchers or dinner vouchers in my house! and you know thats a great present!! best of luck hope this get better for you

Back