Dropbox unable to give me access to my photos & fully paid up subscription

Electronics

Hi there

Dropbox support ( via email & twitter) are telling me they can't give me access to my account ( it's old probably 10 years ago since I set it up) despite my subscription been taken in January. The problem is the account was set up with an old work account I don't have access to anymore and I can't remember my password...I did have access to the account up to last year on my phone ( it never asked me for log on details must have been running in the backround) I have a lot of precious photos in the account which I don't have stored elsewhere - I am using apple storage for the last 3+ years. Has anyone experienced this problem ? There are photos belonging to me in the Dropbox cloud which I apparently can't get to - is this a GDPR issue ? What rights do I have ?

Make a data subject access request under the GDPR. Write a letter and include all the details you have and send it to:

Company Name:Dropbox International Unlimited Company
Company Address:One Park Place, Floor 5 Upper Hatch Street, Dublin 2,Dublin

In your shoes I would send them a copy of passport to prove it is you and not a third party.
I've read a few reports of these kinds of issues lately, a couple here relating to people losing access to eircom.net accounts.

One challenge here is a passport will only confirm your identity, but in many cases that will be insufficient to prove that you own the account. Names will likely match with what was used to create the DropBox account, but names are not unique.

. Names will likely match with what was used to create the DropBox account, but names are not unique.
Yes but they will confirm DOB which narrows down hugely.

Name, DOB, and email address will produce a unique match. The only question then is whether there is a fraud attempt. Passwords are sometimes stolen too!

It might be simpler talking to your old employer about getting temporary access to an email address also?

Yes but they will confirm DOB which narrows down hugely.

Name, DOB, and email address will produce a unique match. The only question then is whether there is a fraud attempt. Passwords are sometimes stolen too!
Interesting, didn't realise DropBox required a DOB to set up an account. I'd be wary of providing that, and have in the past used different dates so as not to give too much data away in the event of a breach.

didn't realise DropBox required a DOB to set up an accou
Maybe they don't!

It's pretty routine for most things though I would think mainly to aid with data retrieval.

It's pretty rare to have people with same name and DOB even at a global level.

Twins have the same dob. 12 twins 1000 births.
People often don't use real information when setting up online accounts.

But it should be obvious if you can produce a family photos over a time span that its the same family. But companies might not want to invest the time in it.

This will become increasing problem. You could lose access to a Gmail account and find it hard to recover it.

Back