Driving Transit Vans !!

G

gweebarra

Moving house in a few weeks and have rented a van to move some of the more bulky items tonorrow.

Am used to a nomal family saloon car, nothing fancy. What are the Faord Transit's like to drive? Any tips/advice?

Thanks,

Ford vans have always been designed to be driven by small car drivers. The layout and feel of it is identical to a small Ford (or at least it was when I last drove one).

The trick is to drive like a axe-murderer on amphetamines. Then nobody will notice you're a newbie.

Driving a Transit is actually very enjoyable - Drove one myself on our last house move - the only thing to remember is the length of it - I got caught out a couple of times around corners when I miss judged where the rear wheels were

Other than that easy to drive and surprisingly nippy for such a large van

Oh - one vital addition is a copy of The Star or Sunday Sport crammed down between the dash and the windscreen with a couple of empty fag packets !!

efm

They are great fun to drive for a day or two!

--Watch out for cross-winds if you're driving at speed.
--The van (plus furniture) is much heavier than a regular car and will take longer to stop.
--Get someone to help you reverse
--Oh, and remember, it's a diesel.

"between the dash and the windscreen" Better known in the trade as an office desk. Receipts leftish and invoices rightish!

Transit's

Yeah, Transit's are great to drive !

I drove one for a while - but I would deliberately NOT put a paper on the dash.......I put one there a few times by mistake, but would promptly take it off and put it on the passenger seat !!

Just remember the length when turning reversing etc.....oh, and the turning circle isn't great compared to other vans.

happy motoring !

Silvera.

Re: Transit's

Most standard insurance for cars does not cover Vans but you can usually transfer it for the day at no cost. I would call your insurance company and ask the question before you rent one.

Re: Transit's

Transit's are simple to drive.

just watch your cornering and reversing

Don't know what u are paying but I rented a Van today and spent all morning ringing around for quotes. The best I got was Malone Car Rental near the airport for €85 - but you need to switch your insurance over for a day - 8441944. Southside the best rate I got was Argus - €95 - 4904444, also have to switch insurance over.

got van off Enterprise rental several time at a cost of 100e for 24hr which include insurance.. doesent matter how many miles covered like some others. Best deal I could find...