Driving Transit Vans !!

G

gweebarra

Moving house in a few weeks and have rented a van to move some of the more bulky items tonorrow.

Am used to a nomal family saloon car, nothing fancy. What are the Faord Transit's like to drive? Any tips/advice?

Thanks,

Ford vans have always been designed to be driven by small car drivers. The layout and feel of it is identical to a small Ford (or at least it was when I last drove one).

The trick is to drive like a axe-murderer on amphetamines. Then nobody will notice you're a newbie.

Driving a Transit is actually very enjoyable - Drove one myself on our last house move - the only thing to remember is the length of it - I got caught out a couple of times around corners when I miss judged where the rear wheels were

Other than that easy to drive and surprisingly nippy for such a large van

Oh - one vital addition is a copy of The Star or Sunday Sport crammed down between the dash and the windscreen with a couple of empty fag packets !!

efm

They are great fun to drive for a day or two!

--Watch out for cross-winds if you're driving at speed.
--The van (plus furniture) is much heavier than a regular car and will take longer to stop.
--Get someone to help you reverse
--Oh, and remember, it's a diesel.

"between the dash and the windscreen" Better known in the trade as an office desk. Receipts leftish and invoices rightish!

Transit's

Yeah, Transit's are great to drive !

I drove one for a while - but I would deliberately NOT put a paper on the dash.......I put one there a few times by mistake, but would promptly take it off and put it on the passenger seat !! :)

Just remember the length when turning reversing etc.....oh, and the turning circle isn't great compared to other vans.

happy motoring !

Silvera.

Re: Transit's

Most standard insurance for cars does not cover Vans but you can usually transfer it for the day at no cost. I would call your insurance company and ask the question before you rent one.

Re: Transit's

Transit's are simple to drive.

just watch your cornering and reversing

Don't know what u are paying but I rented a Van today and spent all morning ringing around for quotes. The best I got was Malone Car Rental near the airport for €85 - but you need to switch your insurance over for a day - 8441944. Southside the best rate I got was Argus - €95 - 4904444, also have to switch insurance over.

got van off Enterprise rental several time at a cost of 100e for 24hr which include insurance.. doesent matter how many miles covered like some others. Best deal I could find...

Back