Driving Licence Renewal Query

Was renewing late Jan. Received a receipt from the council for cheque payment and then took another month to get the licence.

What probably happened was that he got his first drivers licence in August 2000, and renewed it in August 2010, so it now runs to August 2020.

Precisely. They always date back from the date of first licensing.

What probably happened was that he got his first drivers licence in August 2000, and renewed it in August 2010, so it now runs to August 2020.
no its his first licence. I went to the clondalkin office for the form today the, person I spoke told me that the doctor will pass the eye test part and there is no need to go to an opticians for one. I wear glasses and the licence I am replacing my photo has me wearing glasses. I enquired from my local specsavers, did their offer of a free eye test be ok for the licence and the told me no its a different test and its 30 euro.

Does anyone know if you exchange an old style paper licence for a new one due to change of address do you get the new plastic card type one?

If I change address should I apply for a new driving licence or wait until the old one expires which in my case is 2014 ?

Supposed to yes. In practice the Gardaí do not care about such a minor infraction.

Thanks for the replies. I am considering the position. I tried to ring the dept. but got fed up waiting and pushing buttons for all the different options. I will let it drift for the time being.

Are there new regulations in relation to where you get the photographs taken or will the standard ones do as before?.

Standard ones will do until September.

After September they will take your picture at one of their designated offices.

Thanks for the replies. I am considering the position. I tried to ring the dept. but got fed up waiting and pushing buttons for all the different options. I will let it drift for the time being.
, it say
if you go to rsa.ie ,, have a look at the driving licence section , it says that you have to inform them if you move house.

If I change address should I apply for a new driving licence or wait until the old one expires which in my case is 2014 ?
you can only get a new licence if your existing one has less than 3 months to expiry date, , . so as your licence will expire in 2014 they will refuse you a new one. look at rsa .ie its very informative , you may be able to give them a change of address by email.

if you look at the application form ,(you can see it on line) , its available on rsa.ie or ndls.ie , it is the new set up which will be taking control of all licence issues from sept . its a 10 page form on the front page it says , "this form allows you to apply for the following" it gives several headings and the last one is changing personal details. from page 6 to page 9 it gives guidance notes . on the top of page 7 it states that if you are applying for a name or address change you fill in this form it also says that in the case of an address change you must send in a utility bill and they will do the change for free.

Back