Driving camper from Cherbourg to Girona

kerryloca

Hi all,
In 2 weeks I'll be taking ferry from Cork to Cherbourg. I arrive into Cherbourg at 4:30pm, so don't want to drive too late.
Can anyone recommend a place to stop with my camper within 3/4 hours of Cherbourg in the direction of Olot/Girona in Cataluna?

Thanks in advance!

You're arriving in France mid December. You could be driving into fairly hazardous conditions due to weather. If so, you might be well advised to drive slowly towards Spain and choose rest spots whenever you think driving is unsafe.

I presume you intend to stay in a hotel rather than camp in northern France in winter? If you are taking the route south via Rennes/Toulouse you could do a slight detour to St Malo. You should get there in about 3 hrs from Cherbourg. I've stayed a few times in the Ibis St Malo Plage hotel, which is fine, and is near the town centre. You can pay for parking at the hotel but I've had no problems parking outside in winter. There's also a municipal car park a few minutes walk away. If you don't want to detour, you could try Avrances. There is an Ibis there, it used to be an F1, and has off road parking. But there are loads of others around.

thanks for your advice. I will be in my campervan so looking for a place to park it for the night. Don't want to drive to much the first day so was just looking for a safe place within 3/4 hours to park up for the night and to leave early in the morning to head down to Olot.

Back