Driving at 88.5 KMPH for maximum fuel efficiency.

Was on the M50 yesterday. Amazing how many people go on a Sunday afternoon drive in the overtaking lane on a motorway. Surely there's more scenic routes to go on a leisurely drive. :rolleyes:

Was on the M50 yesterday. Amazing how many people go on a Sunday afternoon drive in the overtaking lane on a motorway. Surely there's more scenic routes to go on a leisurely drive. :rolleyes:
Yes they would have a more scenic drive in the left hand lane. It is usually the least busy and if they drive at moderate speed they would have a great view of the empty lane in front of them.

Interesting article in the Guardian about driving fuel efficiently.
Hypermiling they call it.
It can be done in EV's as well as ICE vehicles.

I have been driving more slowly on the motorway to work for the past two weeks. I have a hyaundi i30 diesel and apparently I average 5.2L/100 km. on the motorway at 100 kmh I can get it down to 4.2L/100km, but the city driving then kills it at either end. Came home from work today at 4.9L/100km.

Acceleration really drives it up, so gently acceleration up through the gears helps. But I notice uphill is worse than downhill and I am sure heating/cold/wet/windy conditions would also impact it. Today all the cars overtook me on the motorway, not too sure how much longer I will keep it up. I am guessing an automatic car is more fuel efficient?

I can save about 5L a week if I change the way I drive. That's less than a tenner saved at the cost of sucking away what little enjoyment there is in driving. It's not worth it.

If you are causing other vehicles to brake or manoeuvre or are generally slowing the flow of traffic it is dangerous.

In the UK you can be prosecuted for dangerous driving for doing that. I don't know what the rules are here. Driving too slowly will also cause you to fail your driving test (failure to progress). Whether it is against the law or not it's still dangerous driving.

True, but it's rude and it is dangerous. If you are causing other drivers to manoeuvre (change lanes) then your driving in increasing the chances of an accident. You should drive with the flow of traffic, up to the speed limit.
I drive to Cork regularly and there is always someone doing the I'm all right Jack sitting in the middle of the road, wo'nt pull in to the left and has a trail of 20/30 cars and trucks behind them. Should be a motorcycle cop driving the main roads moving those people over.

Back