Driving and Using a Mobile Phone

my comment doesn't add much to the conversation but...
.. I saw an elected TD on his phone whilst he was driving 3 weeks ago.

I do see most weeks one or 2 people convicted in the local newspaper but I think most people "take a chance" knowing they probably won't get caught.

Smoking may be as dangerous as mobiling. Looking for the lighter, stretching for the 12V lighter, tipping ash,.. coughing, knocking the ash off into lap, that's definitely dangerous.

Eating a banana or applying makeup can be illegal,.. it's just the government doesn't think it's best to write down every little thing that might be dangerous.. so we have a catch all 'driving without due care' law, which worked for mobiles before mobiles became a specific offense.

Not joking about this, but couples playing around while driving,.. is that expressly outlawed? because it does happen.

In general all rules should be applied evenly and fairly.. the Irish though have aproblem with that, they expect to be let off with a wink and a nod.

We stil have silly people driving in the rightmost lane, at 80km, on the three lane M50,.. and I haven't seen the traffic police stop them, although I've been stopped for undertaking in that situation. (The Garda advised me to stay behind the slow driver, in the overtaking lane, while indicating right.. pretty useless advice as silly people don't look behind them). If I was a traffic cop I'd be issuing tickets for that.

guys was reading this post earlyer, popped out for lunch heading to local cafe passed a garda car and guess what the gard was on his mobile great example to set eh!

We stil have silly people driving in the rightmost lane, at 80km, on the three lane M50,.. and I haven't seen the traffic police stop them, although I've been stopped for undertaking in that situation. (The Garda advised me to stay behind the slow driver, in the overtaking lane, while indicating right.. pretty useless advice as silly people don't look behind them). If I was a traffic cop I'd be issuing tickets for that.
I was a passenger in a car that was doing about 80kmph in the right hand lane in the port tunnel. A Garda pulled the car over after exiting the tunnel and lectured the driver to stay left.

I was a passenger in a car that was doing about 80kmph in the right hand lane in the port tunnel. A Garda pulled the car over after exiting the tunnel and lectured the driver to stay left.

Um, isn't the tunnel 80km anyway?

guys was reading this post earlyer, popped out for lunch heading to local cafe passed a garda car and guess what the gard was on his mobile great example to set eh!

Guards are exempt from the laws governing mobile phones and seat belts. I've never understood why mobile phones have been singled out for a separate law. As has already been pointed out smoking, eating food or fiddling with the radio are all equally if not more dangerous than using a mobile while driving. There's also no comparison, in terms of safety, between someone answering a call while driving an automatic car compared to someone texting while driving a manual car ! Speed is the number one killer and you would do more to save lives by mechanically capping the speed of cars for the high risk group than any mobile phone law or NCT test.

Speed is the number one killer

While speed is a major factor in many crashes, dangerous driving cannot be ignored and either can people driving who are either not qualified to do so where they simply cannot operate a vehicle anymore through illness, age or whatever.

Our motorways are built for the high speed movement of traffic and it can be argued that a competent driver could safely drive at speeds far in excess of the current speed limit.

On a motorway (120kph limit) it is the driver up ahead who is driving in the outside, right hand lane (lane 2 or 3), travelling along at 90-100kph, while nothing on his or her inside, meaning the driver behind must slow down very quickly or change lanes in order to overtake depending on what lane they are driving in of course.

Yep!

Strange how if I use the satnav facility built into my phone while driving, I am committing an offence. But if I use the satnav on the dash, I'm not comitting an offence.

You can still be prosecuted if the Gardai believe you were driving without due care or attention while operating the built in sat-nav system.

i find the whole "phones are dangerous" argument quite specious.
They are dangerous, but the argument misses the point.
People are dangerous.
Period.

There is no difference to me whether the hazard is someone making or receiving a call or one of the following -

- an incompetent driver
- a young reckless driver
- an older aggressive driver
- a driver with a car full of screaming kids
- an older driver with poor eyesight
- a couple arguing while driving
- a smoker with hot ash in their hand/crotch/face
- a drunk driver
- a hung-over driver
- a sick driver, especially one that's sneezing (!)
- a driver that is falling asleep at the wheel
- an inexperienced foreign driver
- an unaccompanied learner driver
- an habitually speeding driver
- a driver with a damaged car

all are potentially lethal, alone or in combination.

And that's just the range of ordinary car drivers before we even get on to truckers and bus drivers (!) with mobile phones, uninsured drivers, police drivers in unmarked cars.
While the rigid enforcement of speed limits a few years back earned some brownie points for traffic police it did little or nothing to reduce road accident statistics.
Mandatory driver re-testing every five years would be a start - you could include a multiple choice section about phones if it makes you feel better.

Onq.
+1

Proper order unless the driver was in the act of overtaking. Otherwise they were breaking the law, so the Garda was correct.

Proper order unless the driver was in the act of overtaking. Otherwise they were breaking the law, so the Garda was correct.
Absolutely. It drives me nuts the amount of people you see driving in the middle lane of the M50 or any other motorway for that matter. I join the M50 at the same spot every day and always find it bizarre how many cars flick on the indicator straight after merging and out they go into the middle lane leaving lane 1 empty.

If I want to pass these drivers legally then I have to cross from lane 1 to 3 to overtake them and then back to 1.

I was stuck behind someone doing 60 km's on a 100km national road. Eventually overtook when compeltely safe to do so, and got blasted out of it by the car I passed. What gives? Slow driving is so annoying when the driver doesn't allow traffic to pass. I don't mind slow drivers driving at what feels right to them, ie older people etc. But some people like above should have their licences revoked, or made resit a test.

You don't talk to a banana, the act of conversation takes your concentration from your driving.

So are we going to ban drivers from talking now in cars?:confused:
They will be poor company for a single passenger.

As for your comment on bluetooth units, the only thing I have to do to use it is hit one button to accept a call and one more to end it. How is that any more dangerous than someone pressing vol up, or next track on their car stereo?

Are we going to ban music in cars too?

Back