Drivers bad manners to cyclists on the road

truthseeker

I have just started cycling to work again (used to years ago).

This morning I had a woman beeping me unnecessarily as I tried to cycle past roadworks (so very little space on the road), while in front there was a gap of maybe 20 metres before a red light - it wasnt like I was holding her up.

Then I had a man decide to ignore the fact I was indicating to turn right and go round me on the WRONG side of the road, almost causing a head on collision with another car, and proceed to look back shaking his fist and shouting out the window at me.

Im not a messy cyclist, Im not terribly fast and I do not take risks.

Im just shocked at the behaviour of drivers on the road to cyclists - one of the roads I have to use is busy and has two different sets of roadworks, there is no choice for me but to cycle round the road works, while trying to stay safe and not have an accident due to the roadworks rubble spilling out onto the road edge!!

Anyone any advice on how to handle such incidents? Or how to avoid them in the first place when Im not actually doing anything I shouldnt be?

My advice is to stay off the road. I dont have much sympathy for cyclists, they dont pay tax or insurance, they fly in and out of cars, swerve all over the road, pay no heed to traffic lights and if you hit one you're screwed.

I'm exceptionally careful around cyclists, having been one myself in the past. I always hold well back until it is clear to pass and try to give a cars width clearance where possible in the unlikely event they fall over under my wheels.

Now the other day we were approaching a bend behind a pair of cyclists and I did my usual holding back position, waiting for the bend so I could see if the road was clear. The cyclists, already at the bend, and presumably in the position to see around it, waved me on. I pulled out.... straight into the path of an oncoming car. I swore loudly, much to the surprise of my in-laws in the back seat (who would never have heard anything like that from me before) and swerved back in again. Idiots obviously didn't have any road sense at all and just didn't want me behind them even if I was being careful!!

having cycled to work for years i've found 95% of car drivers are ok (parents with kids on way to school only problem) taxi's generally are fine, Dublin Bus Drivers are generally ignorant to cyclists and seem to like nothing better than to pull out in front of us.

As a driver I hate pedestrians and as a pedestrian I hate drivers, but no matter what the mode of transportation, I always hate cyclists. ;)

I hate when cyclists come up the side of you and park their bike right in front of your car at traffic lights. This means I cant take off as quickly as I like as I have to wait for the cyclist to start moving.

Why do they do that?

I hate when cyclists come up the side of you and park their bike right in front of your car at traffic lights. This means I cant take off as quickly as I like as I have to wait for the cyclist to start moving.

Why do they do that?

Oh, right you didn't know? They are waiting for you to give them a shunt to help boost them along at the start. I thought everyone did that? ;)

Why do they do that?

Most junctions have a specific area for cyclists to do exactly that. It is far safer for the cyclist (because they are very visible)and does not really slow down the motorist overall. I am sure you would not arrive at your destination any faster. Most statistics on city driving show a very low average speed for motorists.

My advice is to stay off the road. I dont have much sympathy for cyclists, they dont pay tax or insurance, they fly in and out of cars, swerve all over the road, pay no heed to traffic lights and if you hit one you're screwed.

Very educated advice altogether. The mind boggles. As a cyclist (and driver who has no problem with giving cyclists a bit of space) I would have thought that the more people cycle, the less congested and polluted out cities will be. If you object to paying tax and insurance, then you can always sell the car. It is your choice to own one.

The OP should accept that some people behave badly (most are OK) and ride a bit defensively. No point in responding to road rage.

Most junctions have a specific area for cyclists to do exactly that. It is far safer for the cyclist (because they are very visible)and does not really slow down the motorist overall. I am sure you would not arrive at your destination any faster. Most statistics on city driving show a very low average speed for motorists.

But they could just as easily stay at the front left of my car rather than in front of it?

In many cases it may be a deliberate move to prevent left-turning cars cutting them up if they're cycling straight ahead. A bike on the left is very vulnerable to having cars turning left across their path, and this is a common cause of accidents. This risk can be reduced by moving into the centre of the lane: The car will then let them go straight ahead and turn left behind them.

Unfortunately, it's not possible to assume a car with no indicators signalling must be going straight. The type of driver who may cut a bike up is also the type who may not signal. So if the cyclist is going straight the safer position is in front (centre) of the car rather than to the left (safer than the front left).

In many cases it may be a deliberate move to prevent left-turning cars cutting them up if they're cycling straight ahead. A bike on the left is very vulnerable to having cars turning left across their path, and this is a common cause of accidents. This risk can be reduced by moving into the centre of the lane: The car will then let them go straight ahead and turn left behind them.

+1.

I don't cycle much but when I do I would adopt this. The many cars that don't bother indicating only add to the confusion/danger.

In many cases it may be a deliberate move to prevent left-turning cars cutting them up if they're cycling straight ahead. A bike on the left is very vulnerable to having cars turning left across their path, and this is a common cause of accidents.

Well in my experience cyclists arent that bothered by getting cut up. Usually when I am driving along with a cyclist say 20 yards behind me and I begin indicating left I find the cyclist has no problem whizzing up the inside of me, when they should actually stop and let me turn in, similar to if they were in a car.

It doesnt explain why they do it at junctions where there are no left turns!

Why do they do that?

Ive done it for reasons mentioned above - not wanting to be cut off by a left turning car.

On junctions with no left turn Ive done it because there simply isnt enough room between the pavement and the front left of cars at the top of the junction for me to take off safetly.

Surprised at the number of 'i hate cyclists' comments - would have assumed more cyclists = less road congestion - therefore happier drivers.

I have as much right to use the roads as anyone else, in case you were unaware, pedestrians and cyclists have right of way.

No, cyclists trump any positives gained from less congestion :)

Back