Drilling into masonry

Westbound

I am attempting to put up a set of shelves. However, once I began drilling, it truns out that the wall (under the stairs, not external) is made of concrete blocks. I can drill a little bit through the plasterboard and a little bit of the masonry but then that's it. I think I am hitting stones etc and my drill can't drill through them without much effort and sore ears!! What is the best means of drilling holes in these blocks? Will I need a more powerful drill or just a special kind of bit?

Thanks.

Concrete drill bits are silvery colour, whereas wood/plaster ones are black, make sure you have the right type or you will go nowhere fast! You might need an electric drill with the hammer action switch turned on. Your cordless drill wont make any progress either!

You need to be using a tungsten carbide tipped (TCT) masonry bit in a power drill with hammer action facility. Start the hole with the hammer action turned off (normal rotary action) to minimise bit going off centre and causing damage to plaster. Once hole is started switch on hammer action and let the drill do the work. When drilling regularly plunge the drill bit gently in and out of the hole to clear the dust. When the hole is to the correct depth remove the bit and blow any dust out of the hole before plugging with a suitable rawlplug.

I've often found it good to start with a smaller drill bit as well and build it up to the one you want.

Back