Drilling a well

C

cushtie

I'm wondering if anyone has any info on how much it costs to drill your own well (for water, not oil, LOL if only!!!)

I know there are loads of things to condider like how deep you need to go, what type of material you have to drill through etc but I am looking for a ballpark figure.

thanks

Cushtie,

Not sure if these are worth a read but have a look or

drilling

I paid around €1500 a few years ago,depth 48 meters.

water well

Depends on the depth mainly. I think costs of between 1,000 and 2,000 are not unusual. Most drillers charge between 30 and 40 euro per metre usually for a 6" (150mm) diameter well. They often put 4" (100mm) wavin into this if the bore walls are not stable. If there is a large thickness of loose materials (e.g. gravels) overlying the bedrock then this may have to be lined with 6" steel casing. There may be additional charges for the wavin and/or casing. The depth of the well will depend on the geology in your locality and it is often a matter of luck whether there is a sufficient groundwater supply relatively close to the surface or not. You will get details of drillers from your local press or yellow pages. No harm to ring around a few drillers to get their charges. A local well driller will usually have a good stab at the depth required from his local knowledge.

Good luck,

iris

Re: water well

Cost us about 2500 to include submersible pump etc, and the depth they have to drill can vary within 100 yards of another house, so don't be surprised if they cant give you an accurate estimate.

Thankis all for the replies. I won't be doing it for a while but needed something to go on just for estimates etc

Thanks again

Be careful about promises that you will not need to pay anything if he does not find any water as in practice these are worthless. (there is always a small amount of water in every hole )

Make sure you set a drilling limit i.e. if he says he should find water at 100 ft make sure he does not drill anymore than say 125ft. you do not want to come back to a 500 ft deep well that costs 10,000.

Back