Drill into chimney breast

Leesider32

Advice needed on this, I want to drill into the chimney breast to hang a clock so the drilling would be in the middle. It is a working fireplace and I would be drilling into plasterboard, my concern is that I would drill into the flue. Anyone have experience of this? Is it safe to do?

Thanks

Your only hanging a clock so I assume you are only drilling a hole to add a plug for a screw. A hole drilled 50/60mm in depth should be more than fine as the wall should be at least 100mm of block

You'll likely have plasterboard, a gap, block, the flue. Assuming it's just a regular clock then you should be able to fix it just into the plasterboard and not go near the block at all. A fixing like this - [broken link removed] will support quite a bit of weight and can be screwed into the plasterboard with no drilling required. You probably don't need 100, but if you pop into Woodies/B&Q they sell these in packs of 1/2/3 etc. Super handy for putting up light shelves, coat rails etc.

Yikes. This is exactly how I end up buying boxes of 100/250 of these kinds of things that I'll never use :confused:

This might be a better bet for the OP, pack of 10 for about €3 with free shipping - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hafele-Plastplu-Rawlplug-Self-Drill-Plasterboard/dp/B00E1LR5JS/

Back