Dreamweaver

• Thread starter kellysayers
  • Start date
K

kellysayers

Hi There
i use dreamweaver to do my website. I only know the basic. Is there a way to stop people robbing my images from the site. I have just visited three of my compeditors sites and guess what my images are all over them.
thanks
Anne

Read this article.

if you've only got the basics, making your site flash might not be an option but it is the main way people get over it

try this, it might be of use.

theres no way to completely stop people from stealing them. Even with all the disabling software people can still take grabs of the screen and use them. If its a huge problem and the images are exclusively commisioned by you, or of your products then you own the copyright. I have seen threatening letters to other sites work a few times, claiming copyright theft.

Hi Kelly,

This is a real pain but unfortunately it is a very common thing on the web. If it doesn't directly affect the performance of your business then you might want to grin and bear it. If you offer better products/services than your competitors then you don't really need to worry.

However I do understand your frustration and what you could do is put your name on your images as a watermark. That way even if they print screen your watermark will be on the images. There is still nothing to stop them from taking the watermark off using image editing software but it at least makes it more difficult for them and might make them think twice !

Hope this helps

Zapa.

Hi There
i use dreamweaver to do my website. I only know the basic. Is there a way to stop people robbing my images from the site. I have just visited three of my compeditors sites and guess what my images are all over them.
thanks
Anne

Not really other than legal action.

thanks guys. I used the codelifter code above. it should do the trick
thanks for all your help

Its just a simple site for renting a villa in Florida so it's only other owners doing it. Just making it a little difficult does the trick, when they right click they get a message that image theft is against the law and will be proscuted. The right click is disabled. That is enough to put them off.
Anne
www.disneylandhomes.com
Very simple site I'm afraid but it does us.

A simply non legal way of geting justice I ve seen before is

If the images are being hotlinked from your server space then you could get some nice revenge and change the image to something nasty insulting and bad for their visitors at the same httP address.
It depends on you how you do it , you could even advertise your own site on theirs.

Once they see that stealing your images doesnt work they wont do it again.

OHHH sounds interesting how do I do it? Remember i am a novice so english please!!

I ve seen webpages where the images have been hotlinked stolen from others and the image isnt the one they expected. You could really give the thief a big shock depending how far you want to go ;-)
At the very least you can change the picture to an annnouncement about how crap his website is and how he is a thief.

Im not sure about dreamweaver but as a novice user you could easily upload images to your webspace under well defined names to use in making your webpages. For example http://any_eircomwebspace.net/flower.jpg

The crucial part is you get to decide the name of the file being hotlinked when you upload it.

Then once you discover a particular image is being stolen, you delete the stored image and then proceed to reupload a vastly different image under the same name which the thief is hotlinking to unawares its been changed.

Repair your own website by having your own flower image renamed in your source code then surf to the thiefs website and watch your own handiwork. You control what his website shows and its his own fault.

In such a case be happy to provide the bandwidth for his own downfall.

So in plain english summary , discover which image is hotlinked then reupload a new image of the same name but with different content.

Let me know how you get on . I'd like to see the finished result ;-)

Back