Drawings for drive way.

Gamblor72

Hi,

Has anyone recently applied for planning permission for a drive way with Dublin City Council? We live in a terrace style house in the D12 area and want to lay a drive way. We want to get the path dished so we have to apply for planning permission otherwise DCC will not dish the path.

We were quoted €1250+ for the drawings alone, does this seem a little excessive? Or €2500+ for the architect to take care of everything i.e. putting the ad in the paper, lodging the papers with DCC etc. Do we even need an architect to do the drawings?

I'd really appreciate some feedback, as the house needs a lot of work and every cent counts!

Thanks,
Gamblor72!

€1,250 seems extraordinarily high for what should be an extremely simple job. And although you will need to get the planning permission, the outlays and paperwork at another €1,250 also look very high to me - that's basically to do a standard PP notice in the Southside People, get six copies of the OSI map, six copies of the (very simple) drawings, site notice, and a covering letter. I'd look for more quotes.

You don't need an architect for a job like this. It might be worth asking one of the local paving / driveway contractors if they know who does that kind of work - at worst they won't know, at best you might get a lead for someone who'll do it for a lot less, and save your money for the other work.

Thanks Dreamerb, that's a great help, I'll look into getting more quotes.

Cheers,
Gamblor72.

We are going to do this too and were thinking about doing our own drawings. We have the original drawings of the site and were just going to change the driveway. Is it acceptable to do your own drawings as long as the scale is correct?

We are going to do this too and were thinking about doing our own drawings. We have the original drawings of the site and were just going to change the driveway. Is it acceptable to do your own drawings as long as the scale is correct?
By all means do your own - there isn't much to it. There are a couple of things to watch out for, Eg. north point, location of site notice, distance of drive from public road. Take a copy into the planning office before making the application and show them what you've done and they will advise of any additional detailing required.

Back