Draughts in new kitchen

rrrrrrrrrr

Our new kitchen extension is lined with insuated plaster slabs (on top of battons, on top of that thin foil insulation, on top of cavity blocks- I think)

Some of the sockets have not yet been 2nd fixed and at one of them, where there is just a hole in the plaster and insulation, with a cable poking through waiting for the socket, there is a freezing breeze coming through.

Is this normal? It's baltic outside tonight so I suppose it's worst case senario, but should the space behind the plaster not be relatively draught proof too?

Maybe it's just a sign that the insulation is doing it's job?

Make sure that the air vents in the walls are sealed with piping from exterior to interior wall. I had a similar problem and it turned out that the wind was blowing in the air vent and circulating around the walls and blowing out at the bottom of the walls as the vents had not been sealed. ie cavities were exposed

Your insulation isnt doing its job, because it it compromised where services run through it. I'd get the builder back to seal all uncontrolled penetrations.

Buildright, penetrations occur in insulation in many places, and you're correct, they compromise it to some degree and the vapour checking to a greater degree.

So, yes, seal penetrations by all means.

But - if everything else is sealed - cold air from behind it shows the insulation IS doing its job - if it weren't the air would be warmer.

In this case I suspect "everything else" isn't sealed and the OP should rely on Just the One's advice.

I suggest he also checks at the pipe outlets and inlets at the sink.

The other detail that may be faulty is around the window reveal.

FWIW

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

Back