Draught from Open Fire

Holy Well

We have just moved into a newly built detached House, and are having a problem heating the Living Room.

The Open Fire we have does not have a Damper / Draught Excluder to close off the chimney when not being used, and hence block any draughts.

I've spoken to a Builder, and apparently, the majority of new Fireplaces do not come with Dampers / Draught Excluders.

Does anybody know if we could purchase a Damper & have it installed in the Fire?

I've no doubt that heating the Living Room is pointless in this situation, as it's basically throwing our hard earned money up the Chimney!

Any suggestions would be great ...............

See for details of chimney balloons and other suggestions for dealing with fireplace/chimney draughts.

As clubman mentioned, get a chimney balloon now. They're cheap and certainly make an impact. Its just a case of ordering the right sized balloon and putting it in place. There's still enough space left for ventilation.

If you want to spend some money, another alternative would be to find a stove that would fit in front of fireplace - and work more efficiently than an open fire.

[broken link removed]

Where would one get one of these "chimney balloons"? My chimney sucks the living room door open!

Where would one get one of these "chimney balloons"? My chimney sucks the living room door open!
I got one from [broken link removed] crowd. However, there was an irish supplier mentioned the last time this subject appeared on aam. Do an aam search on "chimney balloon".

Back