Drain Rods

davfran

My septic tank was emptied a few months ago and are backed up yet again. Can someone please advise me where to go to get drain rods, the do's and don'ts, never used them in my life.
Also is it possible for 3ply toilet roll to block drains?
thanks

woodies do a set for 20 something euro.

use the screw top device first and do not twist the rods ever.

Also rods do not go around corners, don't even try.

Sometimes for a straight run a length of 15mm qualplex would be a safer tool to use.

Any hardware store should have them - they are the same ones used to sweep chimneys, just the attachments at the business end are different.

Do wear rubber gloves / gauntlets, overalls, goggles, mask

Do have hose / power-washer ready to use (BTW if you have a power-washer, you can buy a "silver-bullet" device that powered by the washer, worms its way through sewer-pipes, breaking up blockages)

I suppose its poosible for 3-ply paper to block drains, but if you are having on-going problems with the septic tank filling, you may have an issue with rain-water going to your septic-tank in the current weather.Do try pouring boiling water on a wad of toilet tissue in the toilet bowl. It should break up and flush away easily - if it doesnt, change your loo-paper.

Don't use harsh drain-cleaners / chemicals as there will kill off the munchers in your tank system

I think it is acceptable from a planning perspective to have rain-water from gutters / down-pipes go to a seperate soak-pit.

Any new water consuming devices in the house - extra showers, washing-machine, dish-washer?

Thanks for the advice. Power-washer with the 'silver bullet' sounds like the best option, any idea how much it costs and where to buy mathepac?
I was desperate enough to try the 'chemical' stuff especially since the drains had been cleared so recently and the tank emptied. ( So much for the advertising, did'nt work)
The toilet drain is a quarter of the way from the front of the house, goes around the gable and joins the other drains from kitchen and utility drains(washing machine, disherwasher, kitchen sink,upstairs toilet) at the other gable across the back of the house and towards the septic tank.
The tank has a pump, even though the trip is up could it be the problem?
Thanks for advice, got ripped off in past by too many 'cowboys' thou not the last guy.

Back