DPD payment import tax children's clothes

tiv

I received a request for payment of approx. €20 for import duty/tax of a shipment of second hand children's clothes from UK. I don't have a problem paying it but really want to understand why I'm paying it, having read and reread revenue.ie guidelines. Is VAT not charged at the same rate as it would be if you bought the clothing in Ireland (0% for children's clothing <11years)? The commodity code referenced by DPD is 62179000...seems to be UK export code. I'd appreciate if someone could explain why I'm being charged as it will inform any future eBay shipments.

I can't help but I would suggest also asking over on Boards.ie in the taxation forum, as there's at least one poster there who knows their stuff on customs & duty related matters.

I'd appreciate if someone could explain why I'm being charged as it will inform any future eBay shipments.

It's a customs charge, not VAT. 62179000 covers 'Parts, garments, clothing'. Duty applies to clothing imported to Ireland from the UK unless the sender can satisfy Rules of Origin requirements to show they were manufactured in the UK (won't apply to majority of children's clothing).

To avoid having to pay charges the sender would need to ship them as Delivered Duty Paid.

We really need to stop defaulting to purchasing from UK sites, the message will eventually get through but I would have thought by March people would have copped on by now.

Its zero rated in the UK too, but the items must be clearly identifiable as clothing for children under 11 years old and described as such on the invoice. If it just says "children's clothes" it is unlikely to pass as 0%.

We really need to stop defaulting to purchasing from UK sites, the message will eventually get through but I would have thought by March people would have copped on by now.

People have been buying online from the US for years and not paying duty. I wonder if this is still the case or now that duty on U.K. purchases is being rigorously sought/applied is this being mirrored with US purchases?

On a separate note, I never used to pay shipping when purchasing from Amazon.co.uk but when I tick the same checkbox on Amazon.de there is still a shipping charge.

People have been buying online from the US for years and not paying duty. I wonder if this is still the case or now that duty on U.K. purchases is being rigorously sought/applied is this being mirrored with US purchases?

On a separate note, I never used to pay shipping when purchasing from Amazon.co.uk but when I tick the same checkbox on Amazon.de there is still a shipping charge.
Are you signed up to Prime? That could be why you have free shipping, or if you're spending more than a certain amount you get free shipping. Your UK Amazon Prime does not cover the other sites.
I think you might have just been lucky with not getting hit with US duty, lots of people have, it can be very hit and miss, much as the UK is. I think there's probably a greater focus on the UK at present for obvious reasons.

Amazon.de don't offer free delivery to Ireland. Amazon.co.uk will only deliver free to the UK and Ireland (once the total is above £35)

Not only is it more expensive, it’s awkward too. In the past you could rely on a delivery man/woman leaving your package at the door if you’re not in.
But if he/she is collecting additional payment as well as delivering he/she cannot do that. This’ll introduce further delays. Delivery men/women will need to call to those houses twice or more whereas in the past it was just once.

There's not a lot we can about the fact that we live on a small island off a bigger island off the European mainland.

We can hardly build a bridge to France!

And even servicing Dublin (population1.5+ Million) is not that attractive or cheap when you look at from a logistics warehouse in France or Germany.
From Birmingham, it was not much further than Newcastle, Glasgow or Southampton

Back