Downstairs Toilets.

Downstairs loo

I don't know how we would survive without a downstairs loo ...especially with small children ... if you do put one in, you'll wonder what you ever did before ... plus if any nosey visitors need to use it ... there will be no chance of them getting 'lost' upstairs.

Re: Downstairs loo

What about a downstairs loo with no window? Just discovered that mine will only have an extractor fan. Anyone got the same and how well does it work?

geegee I'd say its quite common and ours will not have a window. Many new houses would have loos under the stairs with no window. No experience of it but I'd say its fine.

Thanks for all the feedback. its a tossup between a valuable downstairs loo and a slightly larger kitchen.....

Downstairs loo

Most apartments have bathrooms without windows. Once you have a decent extractor fan its fine - mine is grand, all the steam from a shower is gone in jig time.

What about the obvious though - smell removal - are they effective for that?

Re: Downstairs toilet or utility room?

Go for the loo - keeps upstairs private. Have three under five and a downstairs loo was essential for potty training! If you had space in the garden you could plumb a shed for the washing machine dryer etc .. or could they fit under the stairs?

Having experienced the sheer embarrasment of not having a downstairs toilet for a visiting wheel chair bound relative, I`d definitely opt for the downstairs loo. Lots of visiting older relatives- and indeed yourselves, someday-might prefer to avoid stairs in responding to the cals of nature.

And wouldn`t it be great to pack inquisitive guests -kids friends, nosy aunts etc-off to the downstairs loo instead of them invading the family quarters upstairs?

Just wistful thinking on my part though as my house has neither utility room nor downstairs loo!

My sister combined both in her new house. Still a very small room but it works. Toilet is directly in front of you when you enter the room. Washing machine and dryer are at the side with a small sink built into the counter on top of them - so counter is effectively as wide as two machines plus very small sink. Laundry baskets generally kept on top of that counter. She then got a cupboard unit hung above these as well so has plenty of space for storing cleaning products etc. How much room do you have to play with?

Given that you have a whole garage to play with, why not make the new room a little bigger than planned and have a utility room with a toilet in the corner - I've seen it done and it doesn't look as weird as it sounds. You could always stack your washer and drier on top of each other if you need to save the floor space and chances are that if it's a utility room you'll have a sink there anyway.

I live in a bungalow so luckily don't have the problem of needing a downstairs loo but I don't think I could live in a two-storey without one. I have a small utility with a loo and shower off it. I use that loo very frequently and couldn't imagine not having it. At least I know when I clean the main bathroom that it's going to be relatively respectable looking when visitors call as it doesn't get used constantly.

Are you keeping some of the garage as garage space and only converting a little corner? Surely with careful planning you could put your washing machine & drier in a little alcove just before your toilet or as said already, you could put your washer & drier on top of each other in the toilet. You'd be surprised how little space a toilet alone would take up. Good luck;)

Why don't you plumb for a toilet, and then hold off on installing it. This means you would have a water supply and drainage to sewer installed at the same time as the building works, and these can be safely capped and isolated. That way, you get your utility room now, and if conditions change, it would be a small job to connect a toilet in the future.

I would definately go for a downstairs loo. It's so handy.
We have a utility room behind our kitchen and it is nothing more than a dumping ground for un-ironed clothes, mucky shoes, tools, toys and general junk. It is too easy to close the door and forget about the mess.

I've not kids and have recently (like yesterday!) taken out a toilet downstairs (which was too teeny and icky to use) in favour of a bigger back kitchen/utility. I absolutely hate having noisy machines in the kitchen and this way the whole kit and kaboodle can go behind a closed door. I will also have space for a proper tumble drier (see previous dilemma on combined washer drier), a retractable clothes line and a dishwasher.

My upstairs loo (there are two) is halfway up the stairs on a mini-landing all of it's own so it's not as bad as it sounds. Probably not the best idea if I'm re-selling granted and if I do take the plunge into the kiddy arena, I reckon I will probably rejig again then. But I thought about it all and decided that I should suit myself for my lifestyle as it is now and for the near future, rather than planning for a future that may or may not be on the cards.

Rebecca

Back