Double swiping of credit cards

bond-007

Any one experienced situations where after paying by credit card with say Chip and pin, the shopkeeper insists on swiping your card again thru his till?

What is the reason for this?

is that after entering your pin and completing the transaction with a receipt in your hand?

Alex.

Depends, really.

First swipe (on little keypad jobbie) is to capture the details for the credit card handler - so the transaction can be authorised.

Second (on the till) is to capture the details for the shopkeepers records in case of query down the line.

It used to be reasonably common, but I don't see it much any more because most of the POS systems are sufficiently integrated, or else the retailers don't worry about keeping their own independent copy.

In the good old days they would have kept a copy of the details by keeping one of the paper slips.

z

Sounds dodgy, let him read the receipt and punch it into the till manually with a special code or else buy a decent EPOS system

DEMAND card back NOW , loudly so everyone behind you can hear him

A colleague of mine experienced this when buying an item in a shop in the new Dundrum place. She made many calls to the company's head office in the UK and to the card-issuing bank and her concerns fell on deaf ears.

The retailer claimed that they needed to do it to supoprt their own processes while the bank said it was an issue between her and the retailer.

etel said:
Sounds dodgy, let him read the receipt and punch it into the till manually with a special code or else buy a decent EPOS system

DEMAND card back NOW , loudly so everyone behind you can hear him

This is a bit alarmist.

As Zag says below, if the EPOS or IPOS system is fully integrated, the card details are capture from the Chip & Pin card reader and recorded in the EPOS system for the purposes of allowing a card-based refund, for example.

If however the C+P card reader is not fully integrated, then it will be necessary to record the card details via mag stripe read for the EPOS machine and separately to insert the Integrated Chip card into the card reader to perform the C+P authorisation.

I would expect that over time all EPOS systems will be fully integrated. However, you have to remember that it is expensive for retailers to change their systems to support Chip & Pin.

Let them punch the total in manually I say.Swiping it again is a step too far and could be fraud .

"You have my money give me my card now "

Sometimes it might be fraud. But provided you enter your PIN only once, or only sign one receipt, you won't be the one liable.

Many retailers have the cc machine provided by a bank. Their EPOS system is a seperate system. It is not the total that is being entered into the till but the credit card number so that if an issue arises the sale can be matched to the credit card transaction records if there is a query. its an internal checking procedure.
angie

Back