Do's and Dont's +NEW KITCHEN

Keep the locations of your units in mind when planning the location of your spot-lights, so you don't end up with a light covered over by a unit (doh!).

Have the extractor fan near the grill, as you probably get more fumes coming from the grill than from the hob (if you grill more than you fry).

When choosing the location for the fridge make sure there no heat sources under or behind it, if possible I would go as far as a vent to outside behind the fridge. May appear a bit crazy but I saw an American style fridge replaced 3 times before they realised the underfloor heating was causing the motor to work overtime and still the fridge would not chill or freeze. An expensive mistake because it means the fridge is now in the utility with a wide space vacant in the new kitchen.

You have to think of the fridge/hob/ sink location very carefully as this is where most of the movement in a kitchen comes from.

Islands are great, and the amount of counter space is really important, people are so busy putting in cupboards that they forget about this. Go for granite if you can afford it.

Double sink. No cupboards with glass. Large drawers under the hob for pots.

Personnally I prefer a gas hob and an electric oven.

As I detest those small bins under the kitchen sink I asked for a tall drawer under the island and I put a normal sized bin in there. It works really well. A tall cupboard for brushes, ironing board if you can't fit them in a utility. I would not have a washing machine in the kitchen.

When choosing the location for the fridge make sure there no heat sources under or behind it, if possible I would go as far as a vent to outside behind the fridge. May appear a bit crazy but I saw an American style fridge replaced 3 times before they realised the underfloor heating was causing the motor to work overtime and still the fridge would not chill or freeze. An expensive mistake because it means the fridge is now in the utility with a wide space vacant in the new kitchen.

Best Post yet. We will be putting in the underfloor heating in a couple of weeks and would never have thought of this. Thank you!!

We have the oven at approx waste height, which is great when removing very hot items.

We used an IKEA kitchen design package and played around with it until we got the layout right... much better than being pushed into urgent decision with kitchen designers

I'm not sure how advanced you are with your house but is the option of a 'larder room' adjacent to the kitchen an option. Seen a larder room in a house last year and must say it was excellent idea... all the shelving was just open plan batten shelves and was very easy to get any item of food / infrequently used roasting tins etc.. Maybe some prefer to have everything accessible in the kitchen units but was impressed with this at the time.

We used an IKEA kitchen design package and played around with it until we got the layout right... much better than being pushed into urgent decision with kitchen designers

chlipps - this may be the best piece of advice yet. I too used the Ikea kitchen planner (I did get an Ikea kitchen, as it happens) and being able to hone your design over as long a time as you like, especially with the 3D view, is really the best way to get what will work for you.

Get nice deep drawers. My cuttley drawer is not deep enough at all & forks are constantly getting stuck. Never had this problem with my old Cash & Carry Kitchen so never thought of looking out for it.

Can believe that about the granite & it's so bloody expensive!I'd consider giving it a miss if I was doing it all again. Looks good, when shined up alright but I'm constantly chipping plastes, cups, etc on it.

If you have space, consider a walk-in larder (possibly in a corner). If not, then definitely one full-length larder unit with pull out shelves etc.

You should also consider a separate drinking water tap with built in filter.

I second that - beware of the cost of triflow taps they are over £400!! Also go with a good size utility room - and loads and loads of sockets and a phone point, also if you are going with an island - make it that you can use it (breakfast counter etc) and put a power point in it - i don't like the idea of a pop-up socket (i imagine they would gather dirt - crumbs etc)

Check the heights of your wall cupboards in relation to the person/people using them. Think about 2 shelves in them for best use of space.

My wall cupboards are useless - too high for little me. Kitchen supplier told me they were standard height and could not be lowered. What rubbish.

Choose floor tiles carefully. Rough faced ones collect dirt, shinny ones are death traps

My husband's niece got a polished stone worktop instead of granite in their kitchen. It's absolutely gorgeous and a fraction of the cost of granite - sorry, I don't know how much it was, but that depends on the length I suppose.

I am so glad we got our fridge built in.
It's base is about 45cm off the floor and it's so much easier to access the contents.

Hope this last bit of feedback isn't too late, it just came up in a conversation I had last night, but if possible get your wall cabinets installed so that they meet the ceiling so you don't have a dust and grease collecting gap at the top. It will probably mean the top shelf inside the cabinets is too high for everyday use, but at least the contents won't be covered in greasy dust. I have this setup (unlike the person I was talking to last night) and I have one of those folding step-stools handy that I take out if I need to get anything high up.

I'd also recommend putting power and water to island, and water to the fridge, even if you dont plan to use them yet.

Back