Doping 'scandal'

B

Brain

Is anyone else getting tired of hearing this guy Lombard being crucified in the media for his errors?
Enough is enough. It goes on all the time...he got caught...end of story.
I wish they'd drop it now, I'm bored to tears.

Yes sick of it too. I wish they'd report some real news.

RTE

Yes. Lombard was caught. End of bloody story. What more is there to this? Watching the RTE 9 O'Clock news last night, they tried to drag the This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language out of it, with a live "report" from Dublin airport AFTER they had been talking about the incident for the first 5 minutes of the broadcast. had to turn the TV off...

RTE

> Watching the RTE 9 O'Clock news last night, they tried to drag the This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language out of it, with a live "report" from Dublin airport AFTER they had been talking about the incident for the first 5 minutes of the broadcast. had to turn the TV off...

Probably trying to make up for the fact that they ignored the story for the first 24 hours after it broke. It probably been has covered enough all right but I have no sympathy for drug cheats being "crucified" in the media when their game is rumbled. :\

Re: RTE

I wonder will his well-practised skills of cheating & deception be of value to him if/when he returns to his former career as a solicitor?

Probably make a good ambulance chaser.

Am I right in thinking that Michelle DeBruin is also a(or training to be) a member of the legal profession? .. food for thought eh?

Nice one fatherdougalmaguire. Michelle might turn up on 'Stars in their eyes' doing Whiskey in the Jar.

From leading sports magazine - Sports Illustrated:

Yes, I'm biased, but you've got to hand it to the Irish. Even when they get caught cheating, they still manage to come off as swell laddies. For example, Irish 10,000-meter runner Cathal Lombard was one of three international athletes booted from the Athens Games on Monday for testing positive for endurance-boosting EPO. On this side of the Atlantic, we'd expect a denial or justification followed quickly by a lawsuit. Yet Lombard told the Irish Examiner, "Hands up, I did it." He says he's unlikely to contest the findings. Yes, he fought the law, and the law won. Now let's all have a pint.

It's not that wonderful a thing - he did cheat after all.

But at least he was able to be man enough to accept it and [paraphrasing what he said] vow to fight drugs in sport now in the hope of gaining back some semblance of respect from his peers in the future.
I'm not saying I admire the guy but at least he's taking it on the chin as opposed to running to a lawyer.

Michelle DeBruin is a member of the legal profession
Yes but It would be scarier if she were a member of the medical profession!
ajapale

Don't forget that unlike this Cork geezer Michelle de Bruin never actually tested positive for any banned substances even if somebody on RTE at the weekend claimed that she did...

[broken link removed]

i thought traces of androtesteroine (?) were found n her "B" sample. Pretty sure that was the case.

Chip on Shoulder

Rainyday you seem to have a chip on your shoulder when it comes to the legal profession. You need to get over this hang up.

The best thing to come out of all of this is that it shows the system works - until recently it was impossible to test for EPO.

The athlete involved was reckless in taking EPO both from a sporting point of view but also because he could have died from abuse of EPO.

How many top athletes do you read about dying from "heart failure". EPO makes the blood more viscous and can lead to heart failure - particularly at night time when the heart rate drops.

People are saying, ah but sure in fairness he owned up. I wonder if he would have owned up if he won a medal and wasn't caught?
I am sick of people thinking how wonderful he was to admit it....AFTER he was caught???

He is a dirty cheating *******. Just because other people do it gives him no right to do it. In my opinion he should be banned for life, as should all drug cheats.
He should also be made pay back his Sports Councils grants....which is tax payers money.

> i thought traces of androtesteroine (?) were found n her "B" sample. Pretty sure that was the case.

Yes and no... :|

[broken link removed]

Traces of artificially produced testosterone were also discovered but since the test that located the substance has yet to be "recognized" the testosterone will not be officially reported.

Re: ...

I feel sorry for the family of lombard.
with regard to mdeb I am still of the opinion that she got away with it at the games however she got set up with the later test. remember the testers were watching her during the test.and according to same she had so much alcohol in her urine that it would have killed an elephant.

Re: ...

> I feel sorry for the family of lombard.

Why? He's a grown man and is responsible for his own actions which don't necessarily reflect on his family. I don't see the need for sympathy for anybody in this matter to be honest.

Re: ..

At least he's not pretending he inadvertently drank Ginseng tea or something like that. I hate to see the likes of Linford Christie who also failed a test in the '88 Olympics but who had his excuse accepted and so held on to his silver medal. When he then gets a two year ban in '99 the BBC give him a job and he works training kids - handy work for a drugs cheat. When an athlete is found using performance enhancing drugs they should have their entire record blanked and be banned for life. I read somewhere of an idea to freeze samples to test in years to come when new tests came available, that could make some of the cheats think twice.

Edited to correct a spelling mistake and reveal my OCD.

Thats a good point Michael. Every single past performance and record and win should be removed automatically.
Even though I think that for some of the sprint events in the 80s/90s this would mean you wouldn't have three legit people left to be given medals...

He should also be made pay back his Sports Councils grants....which is tax payers money

Interesting point there legend, is there any where the amounts of these grants are published

Back